28

28 | Shared Space

28 | Shared Space

The race was on. Willow caught the six-thirty bus and was home and showered by nearly seven. She was tired, sore, and overheated, but she was determined to make it. She couldn't braid her hair or properly dry it right now, and hopefully, it would air dry correctly so she wouldn't look like a wet rat. Only time would tell. Willow dug through her drawers like a deranged raccoon looking for its next meal, shifting and pulling at drawers and hangers, steaming and cursing at herself as every time she tried to use her bandaged wrist, a hard static pain reminded her that she was down a hand. Finally, she found a gem she had worn for a wedding a few months ago. Black and strapless, it would be the nicest thing about her that evening. She was sure of that. Its fabric was glassy like silk, folded around the bust and at her hips, the dress flowed out a little at her knees and would hopefully distract anyone who glanced at her for too long. She'd gone natural and light on make-up, some liner, nude pink lipstick, and cream foundation to distract from her dark circles. She grabbed her going out heels and slammed the door on the way out.

Her phone read 7:17 when her heels hit the cement, and she hailed a cab as quickly as she could. The drive was quick. She was too preoccupied with the pain in her hand that had begun to radiate up her arm, and if she was going to be late to dinner with Barry. In one fluid movement, she nimbly paid and tipped the driver as she left the cab and closed the door. Fuck, she was late. Like late-late. They might have given their reservation away if-

" You're the late one for once, " Barry grinned as he met her at the entryway to the building.

She almost didn't recognize the man who met her at the door. Barry was in a collared, white button-up shirt with a black sports coat and matching pants. His raven hair had grown out a little, just long enough for him to tuck the curly locks behind his ears so she could see his handsome face. She audibly clicked her cheek as she smiled up at him, still so happy to have him in her life. He very casually trotted down the steps of the building and met her to walk her up.

Willow hadn't fully realized that Barry had made reservations at The Porter, one of the most prestigious eateries in Gotham. Honestly, she had just shown the cab driver the address that Barry had messaged her. This place was nearly unheard of for regulars to stroll in off the street and have a meal. The waitlist was so long that no normal person would ever be permitted to make a reservation. So how did Barry manage something like this? Willow's mind was overrun with the questions of their dinner and her last two hours at the hospital. Maybe Bruce (probably) pulled some strings for Barry so they could finally have a nice dinner together. He could be gracious when he wanted to be.

" And you're hurt? Willow, when did you hurt yourself? Why didn't you call me? Who- "

Barry stepped forward, his soft playful expression immediately dissolved as he gently brought up his hands to touch her cast.