07

07| Enough

07| Enough

It was bizarre for him to even consider Willow as someone who might be interested in him romantically. It's not that Barry ever really thought of himself as ugly or unworthy, but girls like her wouldn't be interested in a guy like him.

Barry had baggage. He was a kid when his mother was murdered before him, and his father was wrongfully accused of killing her. Leaving him without parents to rely on for most of his adult life, but through everything, he'd made ends meet.

A friend of his father had taken him in and helped raise him, giving him the closest version of normal he could. But still, Barry was different than everyone else. When there were events for parents to come and support their children, Joe would always do his best to go through them, and Barry appreciated that. There was still a piece missing from him that no amount of comfort or distance could fill. For that, he was always a little offputting and strange.

His sense of humor was warped, and he didn't have his life as together as any twenty-seven-year-old man should. He'd been drifting for a while, and Bruce had helped him begin to crawl out of his hole for a short time. Giving him advice and keeping in contact here and there, all while meeting with him and the rest of The League on occasion, Barry had begun to fall back down again.

The job he'd gotten at CCPD had helped, he'd managed to take some online classes to finish his degree and professionally was doing well, but anything outside of that had gotten more complicated.

The man from the night his mother had died, the man in yellow, had decided to show himself at one of the most challenging times in Barry's life, sending him further into a spiral. Another speedster had also shown up in a black suit, making things more confusing.

Bruce had decided to step in only after he'd noticed Barry's personality change and because Central City's headlines were getting darker. Barry was less present; other metahumans had seen and were wreaking havoc on the population.

Since the night she'd had coffee with him, Barry was torn between trying to start some weird friendship with her or simply leaving her be. As much as he'd like to stay in Central City and let their one meeting end, he couldn't.

Bruce had suggested that if he was worried about her, he could keep a watch and, at the very least, ensure she got home safe. To which Barry was quick to point out that it was technically stalking. Bruce was much more optimistic, pointing out Gotham's danger after sundown.

" Just don't be weird about it, Barry. " Bruce's only advice that day was vague, and Barry had a hard time not mocking the bat vigilante for telling him not to be out of the ordinary.

But he understood what he meant.

He'd come to the Hospital a few times and, after walking through the entrance to the lower lobby, had walked right back out. Unsure how to start a conversation with her that didn't begin with, " Hey, remember me? The stranger who kissed you!? Good times. "