09

First Glances

First Glances

He folded the tie over and over, his hands fumbling as his concentration scattered. The young man looked on in the mirror, his jaw muscles tight as his nerves began to get the best of him.

Barry looked on in a full-length elongated mirror, his lean, tall torso was filled out in black suit pants with a white collared button-up shirt. He tried again to properly tie the black narrow garment, only to be met with defeat. His mind wasn't here, in this room, it was elsewhere. Barry had a black eye that had faded in the day or so since he'd gotten it, after all, he did have a metahuman ability to heal quickly.

Barry's complicated life had taken on a new level of aggravation. There had been two speedsters that had been riling up amongst the shadows in Central City and Barry that fought one of them last night. The man in Yellow, as the papers called him, was Barry's newest foe.

When he was a child his mother had been killed by a man in yellow lightning, and just the night before, the monster in the suit had pinned Barry to the ground and asked him if Barry recognized him.

He'd put two and two together, but the new speedster was sinister in his message, making sure Barry knew that it was him that had killed his mother and that if he wanted any chance at getting to him, he'd have to become the fastest man alive.

All of this before a night that was supposed to be so special.

Bruce looked on behind Barry as he finished buttoning his own shirt, noticing that familiar look on Barry's face as a look he himself had worn all too often. Barry had something happen to him, something Bruce was sure he wouldn't want to talk about right now.

" I got it. "

Bruce spoke in a short gruff voice, as he walked over to Barry and offered an open hand. Barry looked at himself in the mirror, the corner of his mouth peaking just slightly as he looked over to Bruce. Barry didn't directly answer but he did quietly nod, letting Bruce take the limp cloth from his hands.

Bruce worked quickly, his fingers delicate but precise. He draped the tie over Barry's collar and tightened the fabric. Before Barry could blink, Bruce was done.

" Ties are tricky, you'll get it. "

He quietly reassured Barry and looked at the both of them in the mirror for a moment.

" Alfred insisted he drive the two of you, I'll be taking a separate vehicle to pick up my dates. "

Barry looked over to Bruce for a moment, his brows furrowed as he questioned the pluralization on the word date.