23

23 | Slipping Back Into The Void

Mature Themes: Suicide Mentions.

Gotham City 1:27 pm.

It was been an especially trying week.

There was this foreboding feeling in her gut, some kind of other sense that Willow had developed as a doctor. It was an uneasy feeling when something catastrophic was about to happen. A patient who is about to code or the wave of anxiety you feel just before a multi-accident comes through. It was a superstition you didn't want to talk about, no one wanted to jinx it.

Each year it always seemed that the closer a holiday came, the more insane the hospital workload became. It was something about the cheerfulness of Christmas that was bringing in extra homicides, suicide attempts, and stabbings. Because nothing says spread holiday cheer like trying to murder your neighbor. The waves of madness were expected, and that at least was the only relief she had as the change was constant. Her relief was early, Meryl sat in the doctor's lounge, sipping coffee and trying to mediate her way into a new healthy outlook while Willow finished up checking her med-students reports and helping with training on the floor. Although she was the doctor on call, very rarely was it her that saw patients directly, these past few weeks she'd been thrown into a new role of training some of the med students from the college and taking on a more administrative role. Meryl liked to joke that her interns were Willow's practice kids, and now she couldn't get the thought out of her brain.

Barry was selfless and handsome, he was quick on his feet and had jumped into moving in together and doing whatever he needed to in order for their long-distance relationship to work. He would be a great dad, Willow knew that. She just hoped she would be enough. Her shortcomings were evident and in the open, as she was so hesitant to move to a safer city with more opportunity, she was career dedicated and put others' interests before hers. What if she couldn't be super mom and super doctor, or even a decent wife?

Willow's existential dread set in as she accidentally made herself upset overreacting over imaginary situations. She felt her phone vibrate in her surgical coat pocket and quickly silenced the call. She finished up her paperwork and again her phone began to vibrate. With a quick look at the screen, she noticed the number wasn't listed, but cleared her throat and answered the call. Whitney could be calling from somewhere without service, or maybe it was a telemarketer, but the sound that came from the other end of the call made her body shudder.

" Willow! " the voice was loud and frantic, out of breath words wheezed out as Willow recognized the caller as Cisco, Barry's vigilante colleague and friend. His voice was loud enough that Willow had to pull the phone from her ear and quickly retreat into the closest broom closet.