ACT II

It had been nearly two years. Willow had gone through another year and a half with Barry Allen. The man who had quite literally swept her off her feet and saved her more times than she could count, that same man who couldn't keep a straight face when making corny jokes, and had been so absolutely head-over-heels in love with Willow, that he'd uprooted his entire life on the coast to live in the underbelly of Gotham. Willow loved Barry with every ounce of her being, from their late-night talks on the roof of their apartment, the three am dinners where he'd meet her at a 24-hour diner, or especially the way he'd sweetly whisper how much he loved her when leaving after Willow worked a late shift. She wasn't sure how they'd managed to twist their lives together, but all of it was worth it. The blood, the tireless nights, and the strain on her heart every time he left to keep Central City safe. Every ounce of agony or regret she'd felt in the past was fleeting as they finally found a healthy and normal rhythm to their chaotic, blissfully busy life together.

Willow's life as a physician was always changing, having ended her residency with Gotham, she was given a choice to pick a fellowship to specialize her skills in or to jump back into the ER and continue to put out fires. Where she'd really felt herself become more comfortable was training interns and attending physicians, setting up the next generation for the skills they needed to be caring responsible doctors without burning themselves out or becoming bitter. Almost a quarter of her interns would fail, whether that be because they didn't have the emotional capacity to handle the job or simply couldn't take the constant drone of death and despair, being a physician required a stomach not many had. While some could adapt, others would simply crumble under the pressure. She encouraged her interns to pick a colleague to lean on, a peer that they could reference for questions or to simply rest on when the world seemed a little too dark. However, emotional support doctor wasn't a title available, so she'd picked a fellowship by the following summer she and Barry had been dating. Meryl had stayed on the path, deciding to become an attending doctor, and was welcomed with open arms by the hospital. She was officially a permanent staff member with a much larger paycheck.

It just seemed more normal, every aspect of her life with Barry had become tamer after the singularity outside Central City, but with any brief pause, Barry's and hers would also end abruptly, she just wasn't prepared for what might be next.

_