Chapter 1: Days Gone By (Part 1)

Chapter 1 Days Gone Bye (Part 1)

"Daryl," I call out, my voice echoing through the house. "Daryl?" I call out again.

"Outside," I hear Daryl say. Going to the door, I open it and see Daryl skinning a squirrel.

"You know there is plenty of food inside," I say to him with a smile on my lips, leaning against the doorframe.

He stops skinning the squirrel and looks at me. "Where's the fun in that?"

"That's a good point," I say, descending the stairs and walk to where Daryl is. Leaning over the table, I quickly kiss his lips, pulling back and smiling at him.

"I love you."
*
I was walking to the parking lot just after I finished shopping for groceries. A tall blonde woman and her son were hand in hand walking to the entrance of the store when someone walked through the parked cars, grabbed onto her, and bit into her neck. She started screaming in pain and her son was looking up at her with tears streaming down his face. The things, as I called it because I had no clue what it was, continued to chow down on the woman.

I was frozen in fear. I had no idea what was going on. I dropped my groceries in fright, and looked around the parking lot. I ran to my beloved deep green truck, grabbed a hammer that was sitting in the back of it and I ran back to the woman.

By this point, everyone that was coming and going from the grocery store were running away and screaming.

I came to a stop in front of the thing and the woman. The woman was laying on the ground, unmoving, dead, with blood staining her white blouse; and the thing kept eating away at her. She was ripped open and its hands were holding her vital organs in its hands, eating her. I felt bile coming up my throat, but swallowed it back down.

Hammer in my hand, I swung back, getting enough momentum, and swung it forward, colliding with the things head. When it was laying on the ground, I hit it one more time on its head. I looked down, seeing blood everywhere. Some of the blood splatter was on my clothes. I kicked it with my boot encased foot, seeing if it would move. When it didn't, I assumed it was dead.

I looked back up, looking for the woman's son.

"Little boy?" I called out. "Little boy, I won't hurt you, but you need to come to me so we can get out of here."

I looked up, looking around, seeing more of the dead looking things walking around the parking lot. I saw more people laying down and having the dead things eating away at their flesh.

I panicked as I say more of the things walking around and getting closer. "Please, come out. I promise I won't hurt you," I called out in desperation.

Finally, the little boy came out from behind a car. I quickly walked over to him, picked him up and ran back to my truck. Putting him in the passenger seat, I placed the hammer I had in my hand in the back of the truck, before I rallied up my groceries, knowing I would most likely need them for later.

I got back into the driver's seat of the car, putting my key in the ignition, starting the car. I looked over at the boy and told him to put his seat belt on before driving away.

I was driving down the highway, well, at least attempting to. We were now at a standstill. I looked over to the boy, seeing that he had tears streaming down his face.

"Do you have a dad I can call or anyone?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "It was only my mom and me."

"If it's ok with you, would you mind if I took us back to my place? I think it would be safer than out here," I asked him.

He nodded his head in agreement.