Chapter 10: What Lies Ahead (Part 1)

We pull over to a cabin in the woods that had signs pointing to it. We are stalking up for Fort Benning's. T-Dog and Daryl are out getting as much gas as they can so the cars will be filed up. One hundred twenty-five miles until we would reach Fort Benning.

Everyone has their bags packed and T-Dog and Daryl come back from searching for gasoline and we all put our packed bags into the cars getting ready to leave.

I turn around when I hear the deep rumbling noise of a motorcycle. Daryl pulls up next to me, sitting on a Harley Davidson.

"You're going to ride on that?" I ask him when he turns off the engine.

"Yes, but you don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine," Daryl says back to me.

"I'm not worried," I reassure and walk to the car.

We had a quick discussion on who will be leading the cars, which was of course is Daryl. Everyone gets into their vehicles, leaving behind two cars that would take up too much gas. Now, I am in the back seat of the car with Rick, Lori, Carl, Carol, and her daughter Sophia.

*

We've been driving for hours. There hasn't been much conversation going on in the car and we have made a few stops along the way for the bathroom.

"I'm just thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon with Carl," Lori says from the front of the car, speaking to Rick. Looking out the back window, I listen.

Rick laughs at the memory.

"I don't remember that," Carl says.

"No you wouldn't, you were just a baby, and besides, we never made it past Fort Worth," Lori says, answering Carl's statement.

"You got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much," Rick says, laughing at the memory again, this time Lori laughing along. I smile at their memory.

"Ick," Carl says, with a disgusted face.

"Yeah, ick," Lori says, still laughing. "But the doctor in Texas said you would live and we turned around and drove home."

"Well, that sucks," Carl says to Lori.

"No, it was a good trip," Lori says while grabbing Rick's hand.

"The best."

"Can we go see it?" Carl questions his parents. "The Grand Canyon? I'd like to."

"I would too," Sophia says from beside him. "Can we go?"

"We'd never go without you and your mom," Rick says while looking behind his shoulder to Sophia. "That's a promise."

Well damn, why wasn't I invited? I'm sitting right here.

*

We drive for a couple more hours, until Dave, who was driving the RV starts slowing down.

Dale is driving the RV slower, weaving through all the cars that were blocking the highway with Rick following.

A few more seconds of weaving through, steam starts coming out from the front of the RV. We stop and get out of the car, waiting for the rest of the people who were in the RV to come out.

"I said it, didn't I say it?" Dale says theoretically when he first steps out of the RV. "A thousand times, dead in the water."

"Problem, Dale?" Shane asks him.

"Well, there's a small matter with being stuck in the middle of nowhere."

"Can't find a radiator hose here?" Shane asks to Dale.