Chapter 20: 18 Miles Out

Maggie, Lori, and I are in the kitchen, making and cooking food, getting ready for lunch and dinner. Lori is setting up a plate for Beth to eat. She is still not leaving her room.

"Did Rick say anything to you about Glenn when they got back from town?" Maggie asks Lori, looking up at her from the vegetables that she is chopping.

"Said he'd gotten it pretty bad," Lori says, not looking up at Maggie as she continued to cut up some chicken.

"He's not the same, said he froze," Maggie says, looking to both Lori and I. "Blames me. Says I got into his head."

"He came back," I say to Maggie. "That's what matters."

"It's not enough to do certain things, you know that," Lori says to Maggie. "They're either going to blame a little women as a reason they do and the reason they don't. I'll tell you something, what happens out there, happens out there. We're just trying to keep it together until they get back."

"Things were good, maybe I-," Maggie starts to say, but Lori cut her off.

"He's a big boy, he makes his own choices," Lori says, eating a slice of a cucumber. "I mean, do you have anything to apologize for?" Maggie shakes her head.

"Tell him to man up and pull himself together," I say to Maggie with a little chuckle.

"Let me just give this to Beth," Maggie says as she picks up the tray of food that we laid out for Beth.

"You go on, I got it," Lori says to Maggie, taking the tray from her and walking to Beth's room.

*

Lori and I walk to Beth's' room, checking on her and coming to pick up the tray that had the food on.

"Didn't eat a thing, huh?" I ask, looking down at the full tray. I look down at Beth and see that she's crying. I tap on Lori's arm, making her look up, also noticing that Beth's crying.

Lori kneels down besides Beth. "Hey, I know how hard it is. I tried for days to reach my mom," Lori says to Beth in a calming voice, petting Beth's hair. .

"This is so pointless," Beth says.

"No, you have Maggie, your father, Patricia, and Jimmy," I list to Beth as I walk over and stand besides Lori. "And you've got to stay strong for them."

"I wish I could promise you that it would be alright in the end, I can't, but," Lori says, looking away as a couple tears fall from her eyes. "We can make now alright and we have to."

"Thank you," Beth says to Lori, looking at her.

"We'll be right back and we can go take that walk," Lori says to Beth after a few moments of silence. Lori stands up and starts to walk out, bringing the tray with her and I follow.

As Lori and I reach the kitchen, Lori starts putting the food away.

"I'll wash the dishes," I say to Lori. Looking down at the tray, I notice that something is missing. Running back up to Beth's room, I open her door and see Beth laying down with her back facing the door.

"Beth," I say calmly as I reach Beth's bedside.

Crouching down next to Beth's bed, I start looking for the knife.

"What happened, what's wrong?" Lori asks.

"Give it to me, sweetheart," I say to Beth. "You don't want to do this."