Chapter 19: Triggerfinger

Chapter 19: Triggerfiner

"They should have been back by now," Andrea says to Shane as they walk into the dining room of the house.

"Yeah," Shane agrees.

T-Dog, Carl, Dale, and I are sitting at the dining room table that we set up for dinner.

"We'll head out, first thing in the morning," Shane says. "Thank you," Shane says to Patricia as she sets a bowl of food down next to him.

"Carl, I want you to keep your head up, OK?" Shane says to him, looking at Carl who was sitting next to me at the table. Rick and Glenn went into town to go after Hershel. They haven't been back since earlier this afternoon.

"Your old man, he's the toughest son of a bitc-," Shane is cut off.

"No cussing in the house," Patricia says, looking at Shane.

"Sorry," he says with a small smirk on his face, looking down.

"Lori, dinner," Carol calls out down the hall to Lori.

"She's not in there," I says to Carol.

"Where is she?" Dale asks.

I shrug my shoulders. It was silent for a few moments and Shane asks Carl. "Carl, when was the last time you have seen your mom?"

"This afternoon," he says to Shane.

"She was worried about Rick, she asked Andrea to look after Carl," I say to the group.

"She went after Rick?" Dale asks to no one in particular.

"She didn't say that," I respond.

"Nobody panic, she's got to be around here somewhere," Shane says as he gets up from his chair, walking towards the front door, Carl following. We all get up, following after them.

*

"She's not at the barns," Shane says, walking to over to where we are standing outside.

"Where is she?" Carl asks, panic in his voice.

"She asked Daryl to go into town," Carol says, running up to us. "Must've gone by herself."

"You just asked him?" I ask Carol. She went to Daryl?

Carol nods.

Carl lets out a little sob. I walk over to him, standing by him, rubbing his back, trying to comfort him.

Carl pushes away, walking to tent that he shares with his parents.

"Did you know about this?" Shane aske Dale, stepping up to him.

"No," Dale says shaking his head.

"Look, did she, did she take a gun?" Shane asks him, worry on his face.

"I don't know," Dale says to him. "I wouldn't let her go out there alone."

Shane turns around, walking to one of the cars that was parked by the tents, gets in, and drives away.

*

I am walking through the field towards the back of Hershel's property where Daryl's camped out. Walking in the brisk night, I can see Daryl's tent set up. As I get closer, I see Carol walking away at a fast past back to the farm. I stop walking and look back at Carol.

"You OK?" I call to her but she doesn't respond and keeps walking.

Shrugging my shoulders for the second time tonight, I continue my way towards Daryl's tent, stopping at the fire that sits in front of it.