Chapter 21: Judge, Jury, and Executioner

"So what 'ca gonna do?" Lori asks as she boils some water over a fire the next day. "We would all feel better if there was a plan."

"Is there even a plan?" Andrea asks as she walks out from behind Lori. Yesterday, Shane and Rick were going to drop Randel eighteen miles away from the farm, but something happened, and they barely made it back alive.

"Are we gonna keep him here?" I ask from where I stand beside Glenn.

"We'll know soon enough," Rick says from where he stood in front of the rest of us.

Daryl walks over from the shed where they are keeping Randel. "The boy there says he's got a gang. Thirty men, they've got a heavy artillery and they aren't looking to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead and the women are gonna wish they were."

"What did you do?" Carol asks him.

"We had a little chat," Daryl says.

"No one goes near this guy," Rick says to us.

"Rick," Lori says, walking up to her husband. "What are you going to do with this guy?"

"We have no choice. He's a threat. We have to eliminate the threat."

"You're just going to kill him?" Dale asks Rick with shock.

"It's settled, we'll do it today," Rick says before walking off with Dale arguing behind him.

*

As the sun is setting, Rick gathers everyone into Hershel's house to talk about Randel.

"Let's gather up everyone," Rick says as he stands by the screen door, keeping it open as everyone flooded in.

Everyone gathers around in the Greene's living room forming a circle, all facing Rick.

"So, how do we do this?" Glenn asks after a couple moments of silence. "Do we just take a vote?"

"Does it have to be unanimous?" Andrea asks.

"Majority rules," Lori speaks up.

"Well, let's just see where everybody stands," Rick says. "We'll talk through the options."

"Yeah, well, the way I see it, there's only one way to move forward," Shane says to the group.

"Killing him?" Dale asks in outrage. "Right? I mean, why even bother to take a vote? I mean, it's clear the way that the wind is blowing."

"Well, if people believe that we should spare him, I want to know," Rick says.

"Well, I can tell you, it's a small group," Dale says. "Maybe just me and Glenn."

"Look, I think you're pretty much right on everything, all the time, but this-," Glenn says to him but Dale cuts him off.

"They've got you scared," Dale exclaims to him.

"He's not one of us," Glenn defends. "And we've lost too many people on this already."

"How about you, do you agree with this?" Dale asks, pointing to Maggie.

"Could we continue holding him as prisoner?" Maggie asks, looking at Rick.

"That's just another mouth to feed," Daryl says.

"It may be a lean winter," Hershel says from besides Maggie.

"We could ration better," Lori speaks up.