Chapter 27

The mall, probably one of my least favourite places, ever. I couldn't even give you one simple reason why, there are too many, the huge amounts of people, the screaming, crying, moaning children, the rude and arrogant shop assistants, but I suppose the thing I hated the most was the constant increase in the prices of everything. The millions of horrible people I could just about cope with, the loud pest-like children was a little harder, but that's probably because I'm so used to such a pleasant and basically perfect kid and the arrogant shop assistants I managed to ignore, but how do you ignore a fucking shirt costing forty bucks, it's ridiculous.

Never the less, Kyle wanted to go to the mall, so that's where I had to be. That's one of the few things I'm looking forward to about him growing up, I won't have to take him everywhere, because he will want to be with his friends, not me. At the same time that's also one of the reasons I don't want him to grow up, because he won't want to spend time with me, I don't think I will ever decide which is better, a kid that does or doesn't want to spend every minute with you. Maybe it's the same for all parents I don't know, but I will feel so strange without Kyle, when he moves out, every moment of my adult life I have had the responsibility of a kid and it would be so different to not have that, but who am I kidding that's fifteen years away yet. After all if I'm still with Gerard then, I will probably still have a kid on my hands, he certainly acts like a kid most of the time.

I never really understood why Kyle always dragged me to the mall, he seemed to like coming here, but it was always exactly the same routine, go into three or four shops, come out with nothing then go back into the same three shops at least three more times, still with nothing. Then he would spend about half an hour deciding what he wanted to eat, then once at the front of the line he would change his mind, but then decide he wanted the original again and we would have to line up for another ten minutes. After this, it was back to the first three shops and he would spend maybe, three dollars in the very first, then he would ask for Starbucks, then he would beg me for an IPhone in the apple store - every time the answer was no of course. It was a day filled with running around the mall for him to only spend five bucks. Not to mention every time he tried begged me to eat KFC, he wouldn't eat it, he refused meat as much as me, but he always tried to make me eat it.

For some absurd reason, today he wanted to drag me into hollister, it wasn't a place that interested him much, but he did tell me he liked some of the woman's skirts. I was a little confused until he showed me a white skirt with blue and green birds on, I understood, but was still adamant he wouldn't want to wear it.

"I know birds are you favourite animal, but you with wear it." I chuckled trying to pull him from the shop, it was bringing back memories of...well you know what and I didn't want to think of that with Kyle, it was just us and sex is not what I like to think about with my son.

"I will! Just in the house." He pleaded pouting at me, I stood up looking at the price tag, I would get it for him I had no problem with him wanting to wear a skirt, if he turned around and told me he wanted to be a girl, or was genderfluid I'd be totally accepting, but he had asked me to buy him a skirt before, I did and he never wore it, because "other boys in my class don't wear skirts", so that meant he couldn't as far as he was concerned, so the skirt was someone at home with the label still on.

"Kyle its sixty dollars, do you have that much money?" He shook his head, he knew I gave him five dollars every week but five was a lot less than sixty, even he knew that. "Then lets go."

"Fine." He pouted sulking as I grabbed his hand walking him out of the shop. My pocket began to vibrate just as I reached the door, I pulled it from my pocket seeing Gerard's caller ID on the screen, walking to the wall so we were out of everyone's way, I pressed answer putting it to my ear.