40 • Tattooed Heart

A/N: cute ramble about Toby's tattoo based on the og ariana grande song cuz i felt like it and the song slaps. graphic smut half way down so skip if u wish. also not updating for a couple weeks but i'll be back!

Spencer had a love hate relationship with Toby's tattoo.

901: Free At Last

Initially, she hated it. But could she not? She thought it was proof that Toby had hurt or even killed her best friend, and even if he hadn't, it was the date she'd gone missing which in all honesty, was just tone deaf. And she'd been sure to tell him that.

He'd rolled his eyes and told her that it had nothing to do with Alison, but actually to do with getting away. With freedom, with hope. (Even if his girl was partial to insisting that it breeds eternal misery.)

But, after he told her the real meaning, she didn't mind it anymore. Actually, she thought it was pretty sexy. She would run her fingers over it, even over his clothes, when they made out. She liked knowing that she was touching part of him that symbolised the end of a bad time, freedom and Toby's happiness. Because Toby's happiness and safety was the most important thing in the world to her.

The first time they had sex she relished the sight of his tattoo as he thrust into her, throwing her head back as he made her see stars and feel better than she ever had in her life.

And afterwards as she lay with her head on his bare chest, she gazed down at his tattoo, smiling to herself and kissing her boyfriend on the neck.

Part of her new found like for his tattoo was probably down to the fact it pissed off her parents. Toby was a high school dropout, had spent a year in reform school and rode a motorcycle. The tattoo was the cherry on top of the cake. He was the least Hastings-like boyfriend Spencer could think of and she loved it. She loved being in love with someone so unlike her sisters boyfriends.

But she knew Toby was, personality wise, absolutely nothing like his bad boy image. He was the sweetest, most kind-hearted and thoughtful man she'd ever met. And he loved her so so much. Spencer had never felt as loved as she did when she was with him.

He treated her better than anyone else in the world had and she adored all the parts of him with every fibre of her being, including the tattoo.

She was so sure they'd be forever. But then college happened, he switched from a carpenter to a police officer, it was harder to see each other. Then the pregnancy scare. The realisation that maybe they were looking at different futures now.  That their relationship, although they loved each other, was doing more harm than good right now and they needed to end it before it got too painful.

It was awful but they both knew it was the right decision.

When they broke up, Spencer found herself missing every tiny part of Toby. His eyes, his smile, his hair, his tattoo. She didn't date anyone for a really long time. Her heart literally felt broken, like it would reject feelings for anyone who wasn't the boy she'd spent 4 years adoring.

In all honesty, she didn't really want to love anyone who wasn't him. She didn't want anyone else seeing her naked or vulnerable. She didn't want to wake up, tangled in the sheets with anyone else. She wanted him. But for both their happiness, right now she couldn't have him.

Until she came back to Rosewood. Until 3 years after their final goodbye, they said hello again. Until she saw he was building a house and saw in his eyes that it was for someone.

She heard it from Caleb, Toby had been seeing a woman called Yvonne for around 6 months. She seemed nice, a little too clean cut but she wanted Toby to be happy and if that's what Yvonne would give him, she couldn't be happier for him.