Chapter 13

Despite busying myself, I could feel the King's cold gaze burrowing in to my back, as if he were trying to understand me and coming up short. I would have expected as much, someone as heartless as him could never understand putting yourself out for others. The way his cold eyes narrowed and his top lip formed in to a sneer when he realised I offered to help the residents of Laketown said it all. I was not completely oblivious to the pressures of ruling a kingdom, it was draining and constant however it was no excuse to allow darkness to consume the heart. We elves were proud folk but that is no excuse for acting the way he does and the way he passed on his narcissistic tendencies to his son only irked me further.

Dragging myself from such thoughts, I handed a bundle of carrots to an elderly man whose kind, thankful face caused a smile to form on my own full lips. Even with everything that had happened, these people had something to smile about, it was a thought that warmed my own soul to the very core. Though I had never been selfish, my family were in some respects and I made a mental note to try and change that as soon as I returned home. The prospect of finally returning to Falmari lifted my spirit and filled me with new resolve. I wondered if anything had changed while I was gone, how my family reacted to my absence and how news of my safety after so long would reassure them. Both my father and my brother must have been furious, it would take a lot of convincing on my part to prevent them from seeking vengeance.

I definitely had my work cut out for me, both when I returned home and while I remained here. As I was handing out a jug of water to a young women, I felt a gentle touch on my right shoulder. Turning my head, I found myself face to face with Bard. His normally gentle eyes were hard and guarded while signs of stress were evident on his face. Despite this, he offered a sincere smile while beginning to help hand out the produce.

"You know the dwarves better than I. Do you think they will give what they owe?" Bard's voice was strained, like he already knew the answer but he felt the need to ask anyway. I thought about his question carefully and while I had only known the company of dwarves a little longer than the male, our thoughts were the same. Dwarves were notoriously greedy, despite being responsible for the majority of middle earth's wealth, they always desired more. They were endlessly digging deeper in to the earth in search of more treasures, something that was as unwise as it was unnecessary. There were ancient evils buried in the earth and they needed to stay there for the sake of the people. Drawing myself from my thoughts, I turned my entire body to face the brave man that seemed to have aged 10 years in 2 days.

"I do not. Dwarves are too susceptible to greed, despite the vast wealth's gathered in the mountain, I doubt Thorin would part with a single coin willingly. Unfortunately it seems some form of confrontation will be needed." My voice was gentle but the tension in it was obvious. A war was not necessary but it seemed like that was what was going to happen. Hundreds of lives will be lost due to Thorin's stubbornness and I hoped I would be able to think of something to prevent this. A sigh of exasperation sounded from Bard's lips as he dragged his fingers through his hair ruthlessly.

"That's what I thought. I will ride out to the mountain and try to reason with them. Unfortunately if they do not listen, the elves plan to attack at dawn." Bard's eyes narrowed slightly at the mention of the elves and I bet it was because of one in particular. It seems Thranduil could not help getting on the wrong side of everyone he meets. Raising my hand, I placed it on the male's shoulder reassuringly, a smile present on my lips as I looked up at the dark haired man.

"If anyone can make him listen to reason, it's you. Have faith in yourself." The gentle tone seemed to lift his spirits before he raised his own hand and placed it over mine, squeezing it gently in gratitude. Separating from each other, Bard made his way directly to an elegant white horse than had been prepared for him while we had been talking. Without wasting any more time, he mounted the steed and sped off towards the mountain, I just hoped my old companions would listen to reason.