Chapter 16

Exactly what was discussed in the meeting I could not be sure though sense told me it would be mostly battle tactics and plans. I did not hinder myself with the details, for some reason I felt strongly about preparing the men of Laketown for battle. While only a monster would allow these men to go in to battle unprepared, it seemed like the other capable teachers were already occupied so it was down to me. Though I would have preferred to be using my time differently, I was not one for complaining.

Retaking my position on the stone steps, I overlooked the men of Laketown grow accustomed to their weapons. I tried not to dwell on the fact that many of these men could very well die tomorrow as it seemed like a diplomatic solution would be impossible to achieve. With a sigh, I conducted the men to start training in pairs, they had mastered the theory and now they needed to put it in to practise. While this is a poor simulation of a war, it was the best we could do.

I was aware that that the old market place we were using for training could be seen by the elven camp. Every so often I would catch an elf of Mirkwood glancing over, perhaps questioning why I was choosing to help the humans. Unfortunately their King deems men as weak and pathetic...something that may have rubbed off on the rest of the inhabitants of Mirkwood. Fortunately for the townsfolk, I did not share his prejudices and instead found men quite interesting beings. Despite their short lives, they are able to accomplish so much and their ability for destruction is remarkable.

Bard eventually joined me, overlooking his people with concern etched on to his face. It was safe to say that he was no pleased by the outcome of the meeting and by Gandalf's absence it was safe to assume he was still trying to talk some sense in to the stubborn king. I watched as Bard stepped down from the platform and in to the crowd, singling out a younger male who was having trouble blocking his sparring partner's attacks. I remained in place as I watched the bargeman gave him special instruction, improving his technique in a matter of minutes. He was a good teacher and an even better leader, one that the people of Laketown deserved and were in desperate need of.

Before too long Gandalf showed up at my side, his face stern and his grip on his staff strained. He was still not pleased with the outcome, no doubt Thranduil was unreasonable. I was never one to inspire hope with heartfelt speeches but I knew Gandalf needed to hear something.

"Do not despair my friend, we will get through this." I placed my hand on his shoulder gently to offer a little reassurance. I knew I could not be of much help to him, fortunately I noticed Bard making his was back towards us. He always seemed to know the right thing to say and I deeply hoped that now would be no exception.

I was quite stunned as as soon as Bard was within earshot, Gandalf began prattling about Thranduil, finally becoming legible when he asked Bard if he thought the right decision had been made. Bard too, was caught off guard and took a moment to gather his thoughts before he replied. Instead of listening, my senses became consumed with something all too familiar and I could not help but let a smile form on my lips. Bilbo appeared from behind the stone wall, stating what we already knew, that Thorin could not be reasoned with.

Deeming it important to take this conversation to the elven kings tent, we made our way the short distance and once again I entered without permission. My eyes instantly flickered to Thranduil, sat on his throne looking as cold and stern as always. As soon as his gaze landed upon me, a look of disbelief crossed his features for all but a second I couldn't be sure I didn't imagine it. Ignoring his gaze, I stepped further in to the tent to allow my companions to follow in behind me.

The elven king seemed almost amused when he noticed the halfling; Bilbo, follow Gandalf inside the tent and present him with the arkenstone. I must admit that it was a good idea to use the stone as leverage, after all, it was the thing Thorin wanted most. Bard would be able to receive the compensation he was promised and Thranduil would be able to get the precious gems he desired.

Eventually the conversation moved to tactics and strategy. I remained silent through the conversation, I was not in no position to give my opinion. I controlled no army and was simply here due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. While my mother believes that everything happens for a reason, I could not help but feel like it was just my luck to get caught up in all of this.

Eventually the decision was made that Bilbo would return to the mountain and the armies would turn up on its doorstep in the morning. A decision will be offered, either part with a portion of the treasure for the arkenstone or engage in war. Thorin will definitely not be pleased. If what Bilbo said is true, he has fallen victim to dragon sickness and his greed would definitely cloud his judgement. It was definitely going to be a long night.

Eventually Bilbo returned to the mountain and the people of Laketown began their last minute preparations for tomorrow. The night before battle was always an uneasy one and I doubt I will ever get used to it. I helped Bard ensure all the men were fed, watered and armed before overseeing some last minute training. The men and women were equally nervous and rightly so. There was no telling who would or would not survive tomorrow.

I had never given death much thought. I was an elf after all and was therefore blessed with a naturally long life void of any sickness. I had accomplished a great many things in my life, prevented many lives and slayed many foes. I never had any regrets, that was, until I spent some time with an arrogant elvish prince. The thought of him angered me, his narcissistic ways and condescending nature always managing to get under my skin and yet, I longed to see him...to be near him.

I was no fool. I was still painfully aware that his heart belonged to another and it pained me so that Tauriel was such a kind soul. It may have been easier to hate her, to disregard her entirely and focus solely on Legolas, but that was not me. Perhaps it was unhealthy for me to have been away from home for so long. While I was used to exploring the wonders of the land, I was usually accompanied by a companion, someone to keep me grounded and remind me what I had to go back to. It was easy for me to get consumed by the world, to forget my bearings and pursue a new course.

Retiring for the evening, I made my way up to the lookout point and perched on the stone ruins before looking across to the mountain. Had I lacked honour, I would have begun the long journey back to Falmari already. This was all becoming too much for me and I was worried it would take its toll in battle. Sensing a presence not too far behind me, I made no effort to turn my head as I greeted the wizard.

"What brings you here at this time old friend?" My eyes remained trained on the mountain before me although I was aware of Gandalf readying his pipe to my left. For as long as I had known him he had indulged his fondness of the plant and though I wasn't one to judge, I had never partaken in the act myself. Now seemed like the perfect time, over a weeks ride away from home and on the eve of a battle I should not be involved in, though I could still not bring myself to indulge.

"I seems like I am troubled for sleep continues to elude me." The wizard's deep voice carried on the breeze slightly as he too, turned his attention towards the mountain in the distance. It was usual to feel anxious before battle. Most of the people currently inhabiting Dale would probably encounter the same problem tonight. Taking a deep breath, I offered Gandalf some words of comfort. It was definitely not my forte but I hoped it would do the trick.

"Our companions are stubborn but not unwise. They will come to their senses eventually." While my words were soft, my voice was absolute. I believed in Bilbo, in Thorin and the rest of the dwarves. While they would by no means make the right decision initially, all will be well in the end.

"Try to get some rest old friend. Tomorrow will be a long day." I offered the wizard a tired smile, placing my hand on his shoulder momentarily before wandering back to my makeshift bed.