Chapter 16 - The Yule Ball

Hey guys I'm back - for good this time, I promise. Updates will be a lot slower than what you were used to, but I'm now committed to seeing this series through. I forgot how much I loved this series, and it just took me rereading to remind myself of the love I have for this storyline and the characters I have created. I hope some of you return, and I hope some newbies will discover this too. I have big plans for this series, and I think you guys should be looking forward to the next instalment - daisy, the twins, and terry vs umbridge!!

The last week of term became increasingly boisterous as it progressed. Rumours about the Yule Ball were flying everywhere, though I didn't believe half of them (but I certainly encouraged them) - for instance, that Dumbledore had bought eight hundred barrels of mulled mead from Madam Rosmerta. It seemed to be fact, however, that he had booked the Weird Sisters. Exactly who or what the Weird Sisters were I didn't know, never having had access to a wizard's wireless, but I deduced from the wild excitement of those who had grown up listening to the WWN (Wizarding Wireless Network) that they were a very famous musical group.

Some of the teachers, like little Professor Flitwick, gave up trying to teach us much when our minds were so clearly elsewhere; he allowed us to play games in his lesson on Wednesday, and spent most of it talking to Harry and I about the perfect Summoning Charms we had used during the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. Other teachers were not so generous. Nothing would ever deflect Professor Binns, for example, from ploughing on through his notes on goblin rebellions - as Binns hadn't let his own death stand in the way of continuing to teach, we supposed a small thing like Christmas wasn't going to put him off. Draco and I sat in the back row and made out as Binns droned on about bloody and vicious goblin riots.

Professors McGonagall and Moody kept us working until the very last second of our classes, too, and Snape, of course, would no sooner let us play games in class than adopt me. Staring nastily around at us all, he informed us that he would be testing us on poison antidotes during the last lesson of the term.

"Evil, the slimeball is." I said bitterly that night in the Gryffindor common room. "Springing a shitty test on us on the last day. Ruining the last bit of term with a whole load of fucking revision."

"Mmm... you're not exactly straining yourself, though, are you?" Hermione said, looking at me over the top of her Potions notes. I was busy building a card castle out of Ron's Exploding Snap pack - a much more interesting pastime than with Muggle cards, because of the chance that the whole thing would blow up at any second. I winked at her.

"It's Christmas, Hermione." Harry said lazily; he was rereading Flying with the Cannons for the tenth time in an armchair near the fire.

Hermione looked severely over at him, too.

"Gimme those, Daisy -" Ron placed the last two cards on top of the castle and the whole lot blew up, singeing his eyebrows.

"Nice look, Ron... go well with your dress robes, that will."

It was Fred and George. They sat down at the table as Ron felt how much damage had been done. Fred slung an arm around me and I felt my face heat up, George sending me a knowing eyebrow raise.

"Ron, can we borrow Pigwidgeon?" George asked, referring to Ron's new tiny owl.

"No, he's off delivering a letter to Sirius." Ron said. "Why?"

The twins and I exchanged a glance.

"Because George wants to invite him to the ball." Fred said sarcastically.

"Because WE want to send a letter, you stupid great prat." George said.

"Who d'you three keep writing to, eh?" Ron said.