Chapter 13

Never to lie is to have no lock to your door, you are never wholly alone.

~Elizabeth Bowen

Devansh

Devansh

Devansh

Devansh

Everyone in the stadium kept chanting my name loudly. We are in the final over of the cricket match of inter-college sports festival. The final game is between ECE and MEC.

We tied after 20 overs and this is the super over. 10-2 was MEC's score in the super over and have 6-3, 2 more balls to finish. I looked at all the people cheering for me, I see Sahastra and all my friends keenly looking at my every move trying to read my thoughts.

Batting is not my strong suit, but here I am with Rakesh another senior as my partner trying to win a cup from the all time winners Mechanical Department.

I fixed my helmet and tapped the ground with the bat, Rakesh signaled me to shove the ball between two players in the right corner and make a run so he can take over. I saw the bowler running to me, being a bowler myself I knew from the look on his face and the actions he is making that he is aiming for a late delivery aiming for my toes, which will result an Yorker.

I can't let this happen, if I win this game. We get another scholarship which I really need. Please god help me with this ball, I prayed.

As soon as he released the ball I moved forward out of the crease to make it a full toss and hit it with all the strength I could muster.

All the crowd went dead quiet, I could hear my heart beat getting louder and palms getting sweaty losing the grip on my bat. My eyes followed the ball as it flew through ground and dropped on the fields outside.

The crowd erupted and before I knew it everyone in our team are carrying me on their shoulders. I cried in happiness inside the helmet, finally we won breaking the Mechanical Departments winning streak. I feel so proud of myself, I don't know if it's my luck or my skill but whatever it is I can a get scholarship.

Everyone congratulated me and I walked to my friends.

"I'm so proud of you. Yay!" Sahastra's came to me and hugged me.

"ECE won not our branch so keep your yelling down." Her friend Sana said amused by her excitement.

"Whatever! My boyfriend won." She said with a proud smile on her face. After a few minutes Sahastra and her friends went to talk to some of her other people.

I tried breaking up with Sahastra, but she always dodges me off with some other stuff and I am stuck in a relationship I don't want to be in.

I saw Aarthav and Charan walking towards us with some food. I'm famished after such a long day. It's been 5 hours since I had something solid and my stomach rumbled at the food.

"Thanks for the food man, I love you." I jumped to him grabbing the chips bag from his hand.

"Woah! Dude I love you too, the last ball was awesome. I mean who thought you could turn an Yorker into a fucking 6." Aarthav ranted.

"That was pure luck, he is not AB de Villiers or Dhoni to do that. That freaking Mechanical chimpanzees didn't know how to throw an Yorker."  We heard Manjula yell in frustration at her friends passing by us.

"What the fudge is a Yorker, is that a peppermint patty? I tried York, is Yorker the new version of  York?" Jagruthi asked them in a confused tone.