Reunited. final part

John was speechless, he couldn't process what had just happened. He was trying to formulate words or tried to get something out but no luck. After years of thinking Beth hated him with every she has got but only for it to be proven wrong, it was unbelievable. Hearing that last sentence made it a bit easier to breathe.

Beth gave him a moment, she understood what just happened couldn't be easy for him. Plus, she needed a moment to herself as well. She began to panic when he remained silent.

Finally being done thinking about how to respond to her, he opened his mouth to speak but was instantly cut off.

"Nigel, we haven't spent any time together at all tonight," the smooth and gentle voice sent chills through Beth's body. "Let's- oh, hi Beth."

Beth couldn't believe she had the audacity to say her name and even worse, say 'hi' to her. As much as she didn't want to look up at her, she felt like she had to.

John on the other hand wished he could turn invisible and escape the high feeling tension. His current girlfriend and his first love both standing side by side.

"Renee," Beth said with no emotion. "Don't worry, I was just leaving. He's all yours."

Beth quickly escaped the table but it was hard to breathe, her eyes leaked tears left and right, and she felt every horrid feeling she could feel. She felt idiotic, she let her mouth run for too long and what if Renee came right when she said it?
-
"Having fun?" Renee said with a hint of sarcasm. "Looks like you were."

"You're still mad at me?" John downed his glass then kept searching through the crowd.

Ignoring his question, she instead brought up the reason why he didn't want to come anymore.

"You know it's embarrassing watching you flirt with your ex-girlfriend as if I'm not in the same room!"

"We were just talking," he rolled his eyes. "And let's not make a scene, yeah? You'll have ten times more eyes on you."

"You think I'm the center of attention? Well news flash 'Johnny', it's you and her!" She lowered her voice before it could get any louder.

"I knew we shouldn't have came," he gave up on his searching for Beth and finally gave Renee his attention. "I knew you'd act like this. Paranoid, jealous, and angry, it's unnecessary!"

"I have every right to feel the way that I do because no matter how long we've been together or how much I love you, I'll always be in second place!" Her eyes stung while tears clouded them. "Do you even love me?"

"How could you speak such nonsense!" He scoffed while shaking his head.

"Oh my god," she covered her mouth and her eyes widen in disbelief. "You don't. You never did."

This was too familiar. This situation reminded him of Beth on the night they broke up. But a spark went off inside of him and something told him that he couldn't lose anymore.

"If I didn't love you, do you think I would be considering marrying you!"

Renee's mouth fell open and she went into full shock. The couple didn't agree on a lot of things but they did on one, that marriage wouldn't be an option for them. John always felt some type of way on the idea and Renee was too wild and young to let herself be tied down so easily. It was a win-win for both of them.

"W-What," she stammered. "A-Are you saying that out of pity?"

"No, Renee!" John shook his head as his eyes softened at the question, it hurt him. "Don't you get it? I love you. I love you so much and I could never bare to lose you. That's why I've been reconsidering my view on marriage."