xxix

• kaeya's pov •

My eyes narrowed, watching silently until the woman had finally left (Y/N). She had given her something that I couldn't exactly make out, and it wasn't any better that I couldn't hear much over the thunder and rain.

My eyebrows jumped. Unexpectedly, (Y/N)'s knees had collapsed to the ground.

"(Y/N)!" I exclaimed. I rushed up to her, the rain soaking into my clothes. To think she had probably been out in this rain for so much longer...

What was she doing? Maria may not have been a Fatui but she definitely was not to be trusted.

How interesting...

I knelt down, my gloved hands gliding down (Y/N)'s arms. Her half-lidded eyes met my gaze.

My stare darted around her figure, searching for whatever Maria had given to her. It was nowhere to be seen.

"Kaeya!" (Y/N) giggled. "Hello~ I can recognise you from your..." she prodded my chest, "boobies."

The alcohol's gotten to her...

"Hey, come on, you're gonna catch a chill out here..." My eyebrows furrowed, watching as her hands reached out, probably smearing wet mud across my face. Her thumb slipped beneath my eyepatch.

I pulled her hand off gently. "No peeking." I forced a smile. "Let's get you home, hmm?"

(Y/N) didn't budge. Her fingers ran through my soaked hair.

"Kaeya..." she mumbled.

I looked up at her.

"I messed up, Kaeya... Kaeya... Kaeya, I messed up..."

My eyebrows jumped when she suddenly broke into a sob. Ah... this again...

"Hey..."

Well then. I was never the best at comforting people.

"A-ah... don't cry... What did... what did you do?"

Tears began to stream down her cheeks like waterfalls, arguably faster than the rain itself.

"Diluc," she bawled, "Diluc hates me..! Diluc... I made Diluc hate me... he... Diluc..."

My gaze settled on her patiently.

"Diluc... trust me at all anymore... lost his... I lost it... trust..."

"Kaeya... Kaeya... I..."

"You feel lost?"

I didn't realise when my hand had reached her cheek, my thumb tenderly rubbing away her tears.

"You feel like... you don't belong? As if... you're stuck between two sides..?"

(Y/N)'s eyes sparkled with fresh tears, though they didn't fall this time. She stared at me silently.

I see... (Y/N) really was...

I sighed quietly. Well... This wasn't what I was expecting at all...

"Your secret's safe with me," I said with an attempt of a smile. "After all, we all have those sorts of secrets, don't we?"

The rain hit a little softer against my hand that gently ruffled her wet hair.

"Your secret's safe with Diluc, too."