Chapter 19 || Could've Fooled Me

Your POV

I've been training with Steve for the past two hours and to say the least, I'm fucking exhausted. By the time we are done I fear my lungs are about to give out, but he just goes to the punching bag, continuing his training.

"Yeah, see ya old man!" I shout before I grab my water and super speed out of the training room. I stop when I reach the main room, staring at everyone with wide eyes. This could be fun.

Nat, Wanda, Bruce and Tony all snap their heads to me, clearly concerned.

"Y/N? What's wrong? Are you okay?" Wanda stands up almost instantly and I shake my head, breathing heavily as I lean on my knees, buckling over.

"It's um...fuck. He almost killed me."

"What?!" Nat rushes over, already having a gun at the ready, looking around with keen eyes.

"Who?" Bruce asks and I just shake my head, catching my breath.

"It's...crap...Steve."

I reveal a small and mischievous grin while I look up at all of them. Wanda stares at me with wide eyes and Nat just looks down at me, then smacks my shoulder.

"You're an ass. I thought it was Rumlow!"

Holding my stomach, I break into a fit of laughter, I see Tony hiding his own while Bruce shakes his head in annoyance at our childishness. Tony looks at me and nods in approval while continuing his laughter.

"Oh, you approve of this, Stark? Your sister is a maniac." Wanda folds her arms across her chest while staring at me, attempting to be intimidating but I just find it cute. Nat puts her gun away, walking to the fridge to get water.

"You say maniac, I say genius, Maximoff." I smirk at her while I take a spot beside my brother on the couch, watching the television. My legs are up on the coffee table and Nat walks over, raising an eyebrow as she gets to my legs. Glancing up innocently, she picks my legs up and throws them off the table, then takes a seat beside me on the couch, laying her legs across my lap, her feet almost touching Tony who groans in distaste.

"What? What is this? A foot spa? Get your feet away from me," He stands up, finding a different seat away from us while we just laugh.

I notice Wanda staring at mine and Nat's position, her smile fading to a frown. I clear my throat and pat the spot beside me that Tony previously occupied.

"Don't be shy Red Eyes, come join us."

Hesitantly, she made her way to where I had my hand on the couch and took a seat herself. Her eyes landed on mine and I noticed a swirl of some sort of emotion that I can't quite place a finger on. But it's soft, appreciative.

We all sit here, discussing the show until Tony gets a notification on his phone.

"Y/N, put on the news."

I don't even question it, I quickly grab the remote and change the channel, seeing a roar of chaos going on in a city. There's innocent people looking terrified, some seemingly injured.

"Where is this?" Wanda asks and Nat pulls up her tablet, searching rapidly.

"New York City."

We all look at one another, Tony tells Friday to round everyone up.

"Alright everyone suit up, it's all hands on deck. Save innocent people, and get these idiots out of our city." Tony glances at each and every single one of us. I stare at the screen and ask who is doing this. When Tony zooms in I breathe out, "Hydra."

"No doubt they're looking for you, kid." Tony smiles sadly at me but I just shake my head.

"It's fine. They won't get me."

Wanda and Nat both look at me with concern. I already know what they're thinking without even having to try and look into Wanda's head.

"I'm going on this mission. And neither of you are stopping me."

"Y/N! It's too dangerous,"

Wanda tries to follow me out of the room where I go to suit up but I just ignore her. Nat joins at my side, suiting up herself and prepping her weapons with Clint. My eyes catch Nat staring at Wanda in annoyance of her care for me, to which makes me look down at my feet guiltily. I know Nat and I aren't "official" or anything, but I know how much she cares for me, and I know I care for her still. I haven't been able to talk to her at all this past week. It's been a week since Wanda and I kissed, since our feelings were put out into the open. Nat and I haven't had much alone time really. All we have been doing is training and keeping up to date on Hydra with any information possible.

"Wanda you can't just keep me here forever."

"And what if it's the best way to keep you safe instead of handing you over like a free meal?!"

I shake my head as I tie my shoes, mumbling to myself.
"What?" She questions and I groan, "I said I can handle myself. I'm going. Come on Nat."

I grab her hand but she stands still, looking at her feet in fear of my reaction. She's agreeing with her. She agrees with Wanda?

"You're kidding, right?" I hiss but they just sigh then look at each other.

"You are emotionally attached to this situation, god forbid something goes wrong and" "no! You know what? No." I cut Nat off before she can finish and feel my eyes glaze over to the blazed out blue. Wanda then steps in.

"It's safer if you just stay here. Where we know you won't get hurt. Just stay in your room, watch a movie. Just so we can know you are safe."

My eyes land on hers and I can feel that she knows what I'm about to say. Her head tilts as she starts to part her lips to save herself but I hold my hand out to stop her from speaking.

"It's funny. Strucker used to tell me the same. That it's safer if I stay back."

Both of them freeze in place, Nat's face flushing with guilt and regret for trying to keep me here. I can see the sympathy in her eyes and the words already forming in her mouth before she says them.

"We weren't trying to make you feel like that. This isn't Hydra, Y/N."

Wanda's eyes are trained onto mine, locking into me, she's trying to tell me to read her thoughts, but I ignore her.

"Could've fooled me."