Chapter 41 || Paprikash

Your POV

I'm staring at a recipe, mumbling to myself as I attempt to make food.

"A pinch of paprika...A pinch," I reassure myself as I pinch the spice and sprinkle it into the pot.

"Is that Paprikash?"

Wanda's voice snaps me out of my failing mission and I look up to find her wearing one of my zip ups over a shirt of hers. She must notice me staring because she clears her throat while hugging her zip up tighter around herself. I take the hint and clear my throat while breaking my gaze, focusing back on the ingredients.

"I thought it might lift your spirits."

She releases a soft but appreciative sigh while walking over to gently take the spoon from me. She lifts it to her lips, blowing to cool it down before tasting it. I can see her try to keep in her disgust as she offers a tight lipped smile.

"Spirits lifted."

I notice the playful smirk playing at her lips and I chuckle, shaking my head, "In my defense, I was locked in a cell for years and haven't had much experience with a stove so-" "May I?"

She gestures to the other ingredients and I nod, side stepping to give her room, "Yeah sure..."

I stay silent for a few moments as she reads the recipe with a fixed gaze on the paper, then sniffing the spices as she lifts them to her nose.

Sensing that she's still being stiff around me from our argument, I think of how to talk her down, walking around the counter, "Wanda?"

"Hmm," she offers back, not even looking up from the cooking.

"No one dislikes you, Wands."

She now looks at me, a curious look in her eyes as she does that oh so sexy head tilt, slight smirk on her face as she scrunches her eyebrows up.

"Thanks." She tightens the lid on a spice, placing it down before lifting another.

"I-um...I mean it's just that. People can't help but be afraid of you, you know? Afraid of your power. You're the most powerful of all of us and the world...they fear that. They can't help but be afraid of you."

She listens intently, nodding before she questions me by saying, "Are you?"

"When you pull the full name card on me, I would say yes."

That makes her break out into a wide grin as she giggles. It sounds like angels singing. I missed that giggle. Taking in the new light of things, I still reassure her.

"But no, I am not afraid of you. You could never scare me away."

She smiles gratefully at me, reaching over to grab my hand, rubbing her sweet patterns on the back of my hand.

"I used to think of myself one way...but after this..." She lifts her hand, staring at her own red wisps, observing them.

"I am something else. I'm still me, I think, but . . . that's not what everyone else sees." Her face contorts into one of judgment of herself, insecurity of being what people fear. I walk around the counter and allow my blue wisps to appear, "you know I have no idea what to even do with this? I know we both were given these...gifts so to speak, by the mind stone, my vision of you when I touched it. I know it is not from this world but...what it truly means, the mind stone...It's a mystery. And what Hydra did to me, the mind wipe, the mind control, the serum that enhanced me even more, including giving me this darkness that I know still sits inside of me just...deep down. It could erupt one day, all of that anger and darkness. The parasite inside of me. The evil. Yet, it is a part of me."

"Are you afraid of it?"

I suck in a breath as I shake my head slightly before meeting her eyes again, not making a joke or sarcastic comment. I just sigh, "I wish to understand it. The more I do, the less it controls me. I mean one day...who knows? Maybe I can control it." I notice the gears in her head turning as she drops her gaze. She starts to play with her fingers again but I use my fingers to lift her chin up so she can look at me.

She closes her eyes, sucking in a breath while I brush her hair behind her ear, cupping her cheek in my palm as I observe her pure beauty. I can feel my heart beating faster, mind buzzing with thoughts of her as I lean down, eyes fluttering closed when I feel her lips against mine. She parts hers slightly. I part a little bit before kissing her quickly again, pulling away slowly.

She sharply breathes once again, turning to look at the pot, then biting her lip to hide a smile.

When she turns to me again she scrunches up her nose in the cutest as she speaks, "I don't know what's in this but it is not paprika."

Her accent that just coats her words so smoothly like caramel syrup fills my insides up with warmth.

I smile gently as I look down at my failed meal I tried to make for her, to remind her of her home but she breaks the moment.

"I'm gonna go to the store. I'll be back in 20 minutes."

As she turns to walk away Vision appears, glancing at me before speaking.

"Alternatively, we could all order a pizza?"

Wanda tilts her head, turning to look back at me before returning to Vision, staring him down.

"Vision. Are you not letting me leave?"

When he looks at me again I sigh and look away, not wanting this moment to be happening right now.

"It is a question of safety."

She shakes her head, "I can protect myself."

Wanda begins walking until Vision extends his arm in front of her, hand slightly squeezing her arm to hold her still. Wanda freezes in her place when Vision says "Not yours."

"Mr. Stark would like to avoid the possibility of another public incident. Until the Accords are on a more secured foundation."

Slowly, Wanda turns around, glaring me down as she tilts her head intimidatingly.

"And what do you want?"

I sigh and walk over to her, noticing how her eyes don't leave me for a second.

"I want people to see you as I see you."

Staring at me, I just whisper, "It is for your own safety, Wanda. I know you're doing what you think is right. But please, let me protect you. Please."

Her eyes flicker to Vision who just nods in agreement before she shakes his grip off her, "fine. Pizza it is."

She walks away from the both of us, going to her room and slamming her door shut.

"I believe that went well."

Closing my eyes in frustration, I hold back an urge to blast Vision through the wall and pull my phone out, seeing missed calls from Nat and Tony.

"Keep an eye on her. I have to make a few calls."

__

A/N: Andddd let the tension continue to build :)

Anyone got any predictions?