Chapter 22 || Who The Hell...

Wanda POV

When the video feed disappeared we were all silent. No one knew what to say. We just watched one of our own be completely brainwashed and taken over by Hydra. She's back to where she started.

"We can just reverse it, right? Last time Wanda pulled her memories out, she'll be fine. All we need to do is get her back here." Steve is rambling off lists of ideas, trying to pull at some sort of hope.

"It doesn't work like that," Nat says lowly. Her face is stale, eyes trained on the table in front of us. She has been like this since the video chat ended. Like she's deep in thought, trying to come up with a game plan.

"Romanoff, now's not the time to be all dark and mysterious. Wanna explain?" Tony glances down at the piece of paper in front of Natasha that she scribbled random words on.

"He was speaking Russian code words to Y/N. 'longing,' 'rusted,' 'seventeen,' 'daybreak,' 'furnace,' 'nine,' 'benign,' 'homecoming,' 'one,' and 'freight car.' That's the translation of the words he was giving her."

"So...what? What does that even mean then? A freight car or furnace is what made my sister's mind go 'poof'?" He's growing impatient. He's trying to use sarcasm to deal with his stress and frustrations. Y/N and Tony have that in common.

I can't forget what she said.

"Who the hell is Wanda Maximoff?" It was so blunt, like she truly had no idea who I was. All I could feel was a blockage between me and her mind, like there was a wall up. Something was pushing me away, not wanting me to get in.

Everyone continues arguing about what to do but I just walk away from them, letting my feet carry me to Y/N's room. I see the dent in her wall from when she accidentally attacked me, her bed is unmade from me sleeping in it last night. I have slept in it every night. The sheets still smell like her, it makes me feel safe, helps me pretend like she's right here next to me. I feel my eyelids grow heavy until I am no longer awake. My dreaming begins, me with Y/N somewhere else, anywhere else. We're in a house, living together, starting a life away from all of this. We're in a small town, a decent sized house, it's quite, nice, safe, it's home.

Our home.

*       *       *

Nat and I just finished up our training when Steve calls us in for a briefing. We all gather around the table as he talks about a lead he and Nat got on Y/N. Tony sighs, "every single time you get a lead, there's nothing. She can't be found, Rogers. My sister's gone."

I glance at him in worry but speak up, "maybe this time will be different. You never know."

Tony just leaves the room, ignoring us and announcing he's going to see Pepper. We sit back in defeat. I play with my fingers like I do every time we have one of these meetings.

We have chased around 20 leads in the last 2 months on Y/N. Every single time we come up empty handed. All we find are Hydra agents to fight off or corpses lying around somewhere...but no Y/N. I think the worst part is that the corpses are more than likely Y/N's victims.

"We need to devise a plan" Before Steve can finish we hear a loud crash outside the compound.

Friday announces that Tony is in trouble and we all rush outside. We see someone attacking Tony as he hits his bracelet, the Iron Man suit forming around him before he blasts the attacker away.

I can't get a good look at their face but it's definitely a female, she just has a mask on and goggles over her eyes. Who the hell is this? She attacks Nat who comes at her, blocking every single hit, grabbing her wrist and throwing her across the lawn. The assailant walks over to Tony and lifts him by the neck, the punches barely making her budge. She drops him when Cap's shield hits her. Her head snaps over to Steve who charges at her, punching and kicking. But she fights back even harder.

I don't know what to do, or where to go. She's fast, strong, and knows what attacks are coming before they even come.

"Maximoff, now would be a good time to hop in." Tony groans as he stands up.

Snapping back to the moment, I nod and use my powers to grab her and turn her towards me. She grunts and moves her hands slightly, but it's enough to throw me off to the side, making me fall to the ground.

"She has powers too? What the hell?" Nat goes for her but the girl fights her off once again, then continues coming at me. I stand up and try to fight but she just ducks and dodges every blast. Her hand grabs at my neck, throwing me onto the ground.

I wriggle in her grip and gasp for air.

"Who....Are you?"

Her head tilts to the side as she lifts her hand, a blue energy coming from it. That's when I realize who it is. Before I can do anything, Tony blasts her off of me, the mask and goggles flying off her face. She stands up and glares at all of us.

"What?" Steve mumbles as we stand in front of the girl we have been searching for for months. The girl we saw get brainwashed right in front of our eyes. The girl who broke me the second she said she had no idea who I was.

"Y/N?" I say with a strained voice as I stand back up, rubbing my neck.

She tilts her head at us, frowning in confusion for a second before she says, "Who the hell is Y/N?"