Calling out the Ryes

I walk into the kitchen, and Haniel follows. We see Rye humming along a tune while washing some vegetables.

"Hey Rye." I step to her right and Haniel to her left, "what's for lunch?" I look around the kitchen for any possible injury situation. "Some chicken potpie, cornbread, and a ginger salad." She boops my nose while smiling. I had no intention of smiling until I hear the kettle whistling. She wipes her hands on her apron and turns the heat off. I glance at Haniel, and he gives me a small nod.

"Let me help you," I smile at her.

"No need sweetpie I got everything under control. I already cut the onions."

"Oh I insist." I shake my head.

"Well...sure thing it'll be fun. Do you mind pouring the water into the cornbread mix?" She puts on a muffin glove and picks up the fuming kettle.

Now or never Lilith.

"Make sure to grab a glove so you don't-"

Her sentence is cut short when I touch the kettle with my bare hand. The pain is instant. Rye pulls back the kettle as soon as I yell out in pain.

"Why would you do that?" I hiss while gripping my burning palm. Not to sound conceited but my acting was perfection. "You didn't even warn me!"

"I'm so sorry darlin' I didn't mean to!" Rye tries to come near me but I step back in 'fear.'

"Stay back! I don't want you accidentally hurting me again." Damn I was good.

"On my grandaddy's life it was an accident," Rye tries to come close again and this time I let her. "Let me take a look pumpkin." I show her my now-red-palm. She gasps and takes a step back in disbelief. Sell it Lilith Diana.

I start swaying back and forth. "I think I need to lie down." I look over at Haniel who refuses to portray any emotions even during this livestream telenovela. His expressionless face almost makes me break my cover. To my luck, Rye's chopped onions were laying on the counter behind me.

I turn my head and take a good whiff while pretending to try and regain my balance. I face them again with tears in my eyes. I look at Haniel "Can you take me to our room?"

I notice a muscle twitch near his lip. Don't you dare smirk Cassano. But surprisingly he showed the perfect amount of fake concern and stood to my side. "Of course," he cups my face. I reach for his hand, "thank you." I whisper and then lean my head into his palm. A small part of me was enjoying this a little too much. Rye brings me back to reality. "Please forgive me for my disrespect," she pleads. There it is. There's that magic word.

I push Haniel's hands away and rest my hand around his shoulder. "Take me away. I don't feel safe here," I say in a very 'damsel in distress' tone. He pulls me by my waist and guides me out of the kitchen but not before he gives Rye a disapproving look. I make sure I'm still in character till we reach our room. When he closes the door behind us, we glance at each other and burst out laughing.

"Oh how ever will I survive this deadly injury?" I run my hand under the bathroom sink's cool water.

He leans against the doorframe. "We shall cut off your palm and replace it with mine." There was sarcasm behind his actually decent British accent, but I'm enjoying this too much.

"But your act of kindness would be meaningless sir."

He raises an eyebrow. "How so?"

"I've heard whispers over town that a burn of the palm cannot be healed easily." I shake my head at his reflection.