All Will Be Left Behind

Today is Sunday. Hint day. I thought going through the vent last night would give me clarity, but it did the complete opposite. I have more questions than ever. It's currently 5 am. I couldn't sleep so I decided to find answers. 

I go through my tablet. Tony spoke to the other house leaders about the symbols we still don't know. One of them had the meaning behind the shield symbol and another had the meaning behind the lamb. The shield is someone who is obligated to protect those around them, and the lamb is someone used as a sacrifice. When it comes to the shield the keyword is obligated. That's just another way of saying forced. But Noah hasn't been forced to protect us. Even the lamb symbol, I always wondered why Dani wasn't angrier when I told her that I willingly risked her life. Ribera is the blade who tore Haniel and I apart. Julie helped me when I was pressured.
How would they know what their symbols meant? The conclusion dawns upon me. Their phones. The app that was installed on their phones. They never told me if anything knew happened. I didn't ask because I thought- I trusted that they would tell me. A groan escapes me. Somehow I got an answer for a question I hadn't even drawn. Who can I even rely on anymore? This is what I get for trusting people. Never in a million years would I have thought that the people closest to me would go behind my back like that. A humorless laugh bubbles in my throat. I bet that's why Noah wanted me to train him. He wanted to get stronger so he can 'protect' us. I rest my head against my palm. 

I don't know how longer I can do this. I miss my life before all of this. I miss my mom. I miss her voice. Hell, I even miss her yelling orders in the hospital. I bite down on my lip. A tear drop splashes the white desk. I blink away the blurry vision. No time for weakness. I keep my head down till I get my breathing under control. Can't let the cameras see me like this. Especially not after the praises you got last night.

I don't know who those people were. Worse, I don't know if I should tell my friends what I heard. This has to be the worst situation ever. I wonder if Haniel has been keeping his symbol a mystery as well. There's only one way to clear the thoughts rummaging in my head. It's a long shot but it's the only option I have.

I gaze up at my tormentor. "Ceiling thing." No response. "I want my hint now." I keep my voice steady and commanding. I keep looking at the ceiling even thought it isn't responding. I don't repeat myself. After I begin to feel a strain on my neck, it gives me an answer. "Very well Lilith. A box will be dropped in the living room in exactly twenty seconds."
I slide off the chair and walk calmly into the living room. I'm afraid to show eagerness. I'm afraid to show that I am afraid. Therefore, I show nothing. I walk with poise, my head held high, and my shoulders straight. A box falls from the ceiling. I wonder if someone is trapped inside the vent, their only job is providing us with droppings. I lift the box and tear of the sealing. "Welcome Lilith." The ceiling's voice is a whisper but it booms in my ear, matching my angry heartbeat. I know the cameras are on. My mother is or will probably watch me. I gaze up at the ceiling, not returning it's hello. I'm not feeling very chit chatty today. "This will be your final hint. Have a blessed day." I mask the alarm in my eyes with indifference. I've always dreamt of this hell ending but not before knowing what awaits me. 

I peer into box. The usual letter rests on top of a dark object. I remove the letter and reveal what's lying inside. Now I know why this is my final hint.

»»——⍟——««

The box is well hidden in the study. It's in my desk drawer which is off limits. It's an unspoken rule that I cannot be more grateful for right now. Now I'm in the gym. Haniel walks in while I'm warming up. "It took me ten minutes to realize that the alarm was ringing. I looked at the floor and was surprised to see no pillow with my face imprint on it."

I give out a humorless laugh and raise the speed on my treadmill. I don't know if Haniel betrayed me or not., but I can't rule out the possibility, and it's rattling my brain. He steps beside my treadmill. "Is everything okay?"