Forgiveness is a Gift

Lilith's POV

It's been a week since the dinner party and eight days since Haniel and I have spoken. I decided not to dwell or force him to stop avoiding me. I have more important things to worry about. I've been researching each person that came to that dinner party. I weeded out who actually holds a prominent position, and who's just a face.

"I'm glad to see you like this."

I look up from my book. This library is probably the biggest I've ever seen. Elizabeth stands in front of me. She has a way of attracting attention. Like nothing else exists except for her. I close the book, and she peers at the cover.

"Daniel Goleman is my favorite author." She tells me as if that makes us alike. I just picked the first emotional intelligence book I could find. The guards behind her stand in perfect silence. I wonder if any of them are part of the rebellion.

Alissa's presence behind me unnerves me. She's still quiet as ever, but I've found a way to sense her presence. Like cow bells but in my head.

"Our outing is in a few hours. Are you excited?"

She must realize that I haven't said a word this entire time. Play their game Lilith. "Where are we going?"

She grins. "It's a surprise."

»»——⍟——««

This is the weirdest family trip ever. All four of us are in a limousine taking us to God knows where. Tony and I sit next to each other, not speaking a word. The other guards are following us in other cars. I was a little worried about leaving since the rebellion is still, well, rebelling. But Alissa assured that everything will be fine.

Tony has been on edge for a while now. He's constantly worried about Alissa and so am I. I haven't told him about the rebellion leader situation because I don't know how he'll react. The last thing we need right now is an outburst.

What feels like hours pass till the limo comes to a halt. There's shouting outside. Where the hell are we? The door opens, and we step outside. You've got to be fucking with me. Cameras flash at us, but that's not why I'm in complete shock. This has to be a joke.

Elizabeth grins at the cameras. "Lilith was telling us the other night over dinner that she's never been here. This is just an early birthday present."

I never told her that.

Some of the reporters 'aw' in unison. Dante places a hand on Tony's back. "Don't worry son. Your gift is coming up," he chuckles. More awing. Can't they tell that all of this is fake? Elizabeth whispers in my ear. "We rented the whole place just for you."

I fake a smile as I whisper back. "I never asked you to rent me Disney World."

"You're worth it honey." She says loudly for the microphones to pick up. My mind goes back to the dinner party.

"Enjoying yourself hun?"

I haven't heard that voice in a while. "What're you doing here Rye?"

She grins while playing with the olive toothpick in her cocktail. "I think a proper introduction is due." She reaches out her hand. "My name's Alexis, head of artificial intelligence and your mother's best friend."

I accept her hand because we're surrounded by people. It's best not to attract attention. "Alexis? I'll stick with Rye."

She shrugs, sipping her cocktail. I nod at her. "Where's the cane?"

"Don't need it anymore." I hide the sense of relief that washes over me. If the cane had been a permanent thing because of me, I wouldn't forgive myself. But there's something I've always been curious about.