Our Last Night

"Consider it a parting gift," I tell Rye. I can't see her but I can hear her heavy breathing. "I still won't tell you." She wheezes. "What ever it is you want to know. I won't tell you."

"Figured. Let's hope you can survive the night then." I open the rooftop door. The light slips through the crack, revealing Rye's vile state. The bullet is left of her stomach, but I can't really tell because blood is all over her clothes.

"You can't leave me here!"

I ignore her screams, but there's bile in my mouth. She's trying to pull on whatever strings of sympathy I might have for her. I don't know if this is truly me or who they want me to be, but I have to follow along. "The blood matches your nails," I sneer. I hope she can't see my hands shake.

There's disgust and shock in her eyes. "You're just like your mother." She spits out.

Anger floods through me, and I raise the gun again, pointing it to her head. "Don't you dare speak about her. She saved lives."

Rye laughs even though it clearly physically pains her. "You know nothing of the world you're stepping into."

I cock the gun. "Maybe. But I know enough not to tolerate disrespect." My finger is pressed against the trigger.

A hand pulls me away from the door then shuts it. "Don't."

Haniel takes the gun away, and puts the safety on. He locks the rooftop door. My humanity strikes me like a bolt of lightening. "We can't leave her there."

"We have to," he answers me. He guides me downstairs, and I don't relent. Everyone is in the living room, circling a huge box.

"What happened upstairs?"

"Where's Rye?"

"We heard a loud sound?"

"Is that a gun?" All eyes turn to the gun in Haniel's hand.

"What the hell is happening Lily?!" Dani exclaims.

"I shot Rye," I tell them. They all turn silent, their mouths ajar, except for Haniel of course. "Why would you do that?" Ribera looks at me like he can't recognize me.

"I had to," I deadpan. I don't know how else to explain it. My gut was telling me to do it, so I did. That won't really hold up in the court of law, but the law isn't really available right now.

"Is she dead?" Julie whispers.

"No."

Noah runs a hand through his hair. "This is fucked."

"Greetings everyone." The ceiling chimes.

"Perfect," Noah scoffs.

"Since Lilith is now with us, you may inspect the box's contents." It continues. I'm not quite sure we want to. I peel off the duct tape and open the box. There's a bunch of clothes and masks.

"In exactly ten hours, you will be attending the masquerade ball. Inside the box, are your clothes which are labelled. Please refrain from wearing another person's piece of clothing. Have a blessed night."

I pick up a white tux jacket. There's a small embroidery, also in white, that says Noah. "Here you go."

He takes it from me. "So we're just going to ignore that there's a bleeding woman upstairs?"

I  pass out more of the box's contents. "Ju-Just trust me on this. Please."

He nods and all of them follow. Haniel puts the gun on his waistband and takes his clothes. A ball huh? Something's going to happen. I can feel it. Once everybody has their stuff, I sigh. "We should get some sleep before we leave tomorrow."