Unspoken Words

Noah's POV

I saw a dandelion today, but a guard crushed it with his boot. That's bad luck. My moms always told me flowers are Earth's protectors, not respecting them will bound you cursed.

"I'm worried about Lilly," Julie plays with her food. We're in a big cafeteria. The food isn't bad but Rye clearly didn't make it.

"I'm sure Lil is fine." I assure her. Lil could beat the shit out of anybody. She has a mean fist and witty mouth. That's half more than most people here.

Dani sighs. "How long do we have to stay here?"

"What makes you think it's temporary?" Ribera bites off a bun. Haha bun. My jokes are more stale than the food. Lilith got my jokes. She made them better. She made me better. She's the reason I was on the basketball team. She taught me how to fight. She's the reason I'm with Julie. And how did I pay her back? I hid the truth from her. She trained me willingly, not knowing that I was forced into it. It was fun though. Even though she beat the crap out of me.

Julie nudges me. "You're pouting."

I sling my shoulder around her. "I can't believe a chicken died to be disrespected like this." I push away my tray. Don't get me wrong I ate all my food. I'm a growing boy, and it's bad to be wasteful.

A guard approaches our table, and I pull Julie closer to me.

"Noah Peters?" He addresses me.

I look around me. "I'll let you know when I see him."

Dani snorts, but he's unamused. "Your training starts today. You're expected in the facility in an hour." He walks away without another word.

"Training for what?" Ribera asks.

"My butt has been getting flat lately," I ponder. "Swimsuit season is coming up."

"This isn't a joke!" Julie swats my chest. I kiss her head and grin. It isn't a joke. I don't want to go. I don't want to be here. I want to be home and rewatch every episode of Sherlock.

»»——⍟——««

A guy named Trey and I walk into the training facility together. He looks older than me. He's bigger too. "Usually I'd wait till we live together before getting matching tattoos." I tell him while he ties his shoelaces. He looks at me like I just lost my marbles. I don't like marbles. Or anything perfectly round. Except Julie's butt of course.

"Noah!"

Shit did she hear me?

I'm pounced on before I can turn around. I know that death grip anywhere. "There won't be a Noah if you keep squeezing the air out of me, Lil."

She lets me go, and I face her. She looks the same but sadder. I don't like it when my friends are sad. "You look awful." I tell her. There, that'll get her to cheer up.

She punches me in the chest. "Thanks." I wince harder when she hugs me again. "How is everyone?" I hug her back. "Well Ribera keeps eating all the bread. Dani makes fun of him for it. I honestly don't know how she does it. Julie is perfect as always." Her butt got bigger, but I'll keep that observation to myself.

She lets me go. "And you?"

I grin. "I'm always fine."

She eyes me for a moment. We turn to Dante and Tony. I whisper to Lil. "I swear I'm not trying to sound racist, but Tony and you look just alike."

She snorts. "Lucky guess. We're apparently twins."

My eyes bug out. "Like Tia and Tamera? "

"Yeah, but one of us is male."