Chapter 30

Thank you so much for all your kind words x I was able to take a well needed break from writing and get my head together. You guys are always so supportive and it really does mean a lot to have you guys here with me.
Extra 400 words x

*********************

The journey is a blur. So much so that I don't notice Cody driving into Mr. Lorenzo's street. He stops before his house, the motorbike guttering to a stop. I dig my fingers into his shoulders, yelling "Wrong destination," from under the helmet.

"Ow, ow, ow." He stumbles off the bike and shakes his arms. "Demon child." He whines.

I roll my eyes and fix my gaze on the actual demon. Mr. Lorenzo steps out of the car just as I haul my leg off the vehicle. Cody holds the motorbike upright as I do.

"I said I wanted to go home," I exclaim.

Mr Lorenzo slams the car door shut and his shoulders grow stiff, eyes resting on the grey clouds breaking out into oranges and reds. My patience is warding thin, so when he turns away from the clouds and walks towards the boot, something stirs inside of me. Popping open his boot, he picks up a bag and heads towards the house.

I squint, following the dim trail of red luggage with a grey butterfly on the side. No way. Are those my things? I ball my hands into fists. "What the fuck?"

Cody scratches the back of his head, looking subtly amused.

"This isn't funny," I scream.

He fights back a smile. "It kind of is."

I glare at him and he purses his lips, eyes wide with panic. It's the same expression he wears when he's moments away from turning into Jackson's punching bag. Backing away, he darts towards the car and grabs my crutches, like a penguin offering a pebble to its mate. But in this instance, it's for forgiveness.

I snatch them out of his hand, and he bites his lip to stop from grinning. I could slap him right now.

"Good luck, Romero." He calls out, then hops onto his bike hurriedly and drives away. There goes any last chance of me getting home.

I squeeze the life out of the crutches and grit my teeth. Mr Lorenzo has ridden irritation so far down my core that my skin itches for revenge.

I stare back at his perfect house, his perfect car, his perfect fountain with fluffy birds perched on the side. How can something so controlling and robotic live inside?

Does he think he can house me when I'm crippled?

I throw my crutches to the side and shut my eyes for a moment, allowing all the rage to surface exponentially. I couldn't care less about this man.

Manipulative bastard.

I pick up a hand-sized rock from his garden, shaking as I do. I test its weight, letting it drop from one hand to the other, eyeing his car. I'm beyond caring. Beyond humanity. Beyond sanity.

I throw my hand back and launch the rock in a daze.

For a moment, it's suspended in the air, and I debate my propriety. The twirling motion catches my breath and suddenly, rules don't matter anymore. I have broken so many already. What's worse? Vandalising a car or breaking and entering?

The rock smashes the window, and the shattering sound that follows makes me flinch. The alarm blares wildly and I step back, taking a deep breath.

I've run from him before. I've tried to avoid his tricks and games. But now I'll welcome them with open arms. If he wants to be a devil, I'll be the diva.