Chapter 24

My ears grow blocked when I enter the tenebrous club, and like before, I'm stamped with cursive writing on my wrist. This time, the ink smudges against my moist skin.

The heat in the building is almost unbearable.

Standing tall, I observe the Friday night commotion. Undoubtedly the most wild and busy weekday in the city. I could have picked a quieter time to pull the trigger on my plan, but Friday is special. Nobody remembers anything the next morning.

I step through the crowd, a flush of heat rising to my cheeks.

I recognise no one until my eyes fall on my lucky bartender. I was anticipating he would be here to placate my nerves. A familiar face goes a long way.

Men and woman form a sea of distance as I stride through, and a smile curls my lips. So that's why they parted the first time. Camila's confidence struck them.    

I perch myself on a stool, and when the bartender turns around; he stills. My ruby red lips widen with private affirmation. Make up. A charm with these men.

"Do I know you?"

I pout ruthfully, "forgotten me already?"

He leans forward, a sly smile tugging at his lips. "Never," He grins "You're an everlasting memory."

I would have cringed at the comment if I weren't so intoxicated.

He stands closer tonight, with dazed interest. "If you're here for a drink though, I'm afraid I can't help you."

I cock an eyebrow playfully, fully aware that the alcohol is pulling me deep.

"And why's that?" I murmur, tugging his black tie that lays flat against his white shirt. This sensuality is lulling me into a trance.

Tonight, I live in the illusion that I'm a queen. And all these people? I will rule their night.

He captures my hand and looks above. I follow his gaze, almost knowing where they're going to land.

I follow the line of muscles that rest against railings above on the second floor.

Silver-blue eyes drink in the night as dancers glide before his eyes. I remain fixated on him. A reserved man hidden from chaos. It's as though he's lost in his own world. 

He watches the colours, but those colours turn into memories that grow distant in his eyes. The dancers are silhouettes in his artwork, and the door, a gateway for strangers in this big, bustling world.

Despite remaining in the shadows, he captures the eyes of many. Strobes of light flit across his features, temporarily glowing his cold, sullen eyes. He appears stoic and assertive, but it masks the stress beneath his beautiful features.

If only he realised what's awaiting him tonight.

"Because that man there-" The bartender carry's on. "Owns the club."

A smile tugs at my lips. I guess spying on Jason's phone really paid off.

"I'm all for giving you a drink. But I would love to keep my job, and he specially restricted you from alcohol."

As if he heard Mr Lorenzo looks down, and his eyes lock with mine. My lips part, a quiet promise of grey storms and havoc flowing between us.

His gaze is paralysing.

I remain still as he falls through the shadows, disappearing out of sight. When he's gone, my eyes drop to the counter, and I numbly trace shapes with my finger.

Just relax. You're okay.

"Amara?"

My breath catches. "Ethan?"