Chapter Seven: Entrance Exams

TWO YEARS AGO - THE AZURE MESSENGER ARC
Four days after our arrival
Kane's POV
After I got ready in my normal clothes a pair of black combat boots, jean shorts, black leggings, a grey cropped tank top, a white half-buttoned shirt, suspenders of my shoulders, and a thigh-length black trench coat. I had also decided to keep the gloves Chuuya gave me which concealed my grandmother's ring I wore every day. At the cafe below the agency, I grabbed a coffee to start my day. I began to walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator like everyone else. By the time I reached the door, I was met with one of my co-workers Doppo Kunikida. He noticed me walking to him as he waited for the right time to go in. He gestured for me to go first and I thanked him and went in. We both passed the door frame and saw non-other than Osamu Dazai on his desk spouting crazy nonsense. One of our co-workers had asked for us to help.

"It's an emergency! Take a look at this!" Osamu said pointing to thin air.

"Look at what?" Doppo questioned being pushed to Osamu. I sat at my desk right next to Kunikida.

"It's right here silly!" Osamu spotted still pointing to thin air.

"All I see is your stupid face."

"It's here! I've finally arrived! I can see the pearly gates and everything."

"I have no idea what's going on."

"Hey, Doppo. I found these in Osamu's desk." I started leaning back in my chair with a 'Complete Guide to Suicide' book and green and yellow spotted mushroom.

"I knew the Complete Guide to Suicide book was a masterpiece!" Osamu laughed. "Who knew all I needed to do was eat those mushrooms nearby to have such an entertaining exit!"

"So those mushrooms were poisonous?" Doppo assumed.

"That's only what he thought. They are actually just a hallucinogen." I corrected as I read the book. Right after I said that Osamu lunged at a co-worker beginning to strangle them.

"Ah yes I finally caught you rainbow pill bug!" Osamu declared. I put down the items and went to try and help the employee without hurting either one of them. Doppo sat at his desk and opened his computer to do work.

"Doppo! A little help would be nice." I said through gritted teeth.

"I must do my routine paperwork. Wait until I'm done." He stated shocking the person being strangled.
Doppo continued to type and work. Osamu had successfully restrained his target after I gave up on stopping him. Osamu went to bother Doppo and I knew that wasn't going over well. While he did that though I untied the unfortunate hostage.

"Oh Kunikida," Osamu said lengthening his words. He started to pull at Doppo's face."You should come to the afterlife too. It's amazing here. So many rainbow pill bugs. All the drinks you can handle. Mountian and mountains of food to eat. All the sleeping beauty you could ever-"

Before Osamu could finish Doppo had already completed his work and was so angry he grabbed Osamu and threw him over his shoulder. This slammed Osamu to the ground and knocked him out cold.

"Stop this nonsense!" Doppo yelled enraged.

I honestly don't know how we ever get any work done. I still have no clue why the president had us work together anyway.

FLASHBACK

"Let me introduce you. Come in." the president called. I walked in first and Osamu followed behind. A tall blonde-haired man with glasses stood in the room staring at us. He looked us up and down examining everything from our faces to our clothes.

"Good Afternoon" Osamu cheerfully announced "I'm Osamu Dazai, twenty years old. Nice to meet you."

"Kane Amejisuto, nineteen years old. I hope we get along just fine." I said forcing a smile.