Finding Adam

~Adam's POV~

"C'mon Hannah, pick up!" I murmured to myself, out of pure frustration. I had been at this inn's public landline waiting for what felt like hours, hearing the phone ring in my ear.

"A-Adam?" Hannah's voice wavered through the phone. To say I was glad to hear her voice would be the understatement of the year. I didn't know how on Earth her phone had survived water damage, but I was glad it did.

"Hannah! I'm so happy you're okay!" I exclaimed with excitement. "Where are you? I can come get you-"

"Adam? I can barely hear you. You're breaking up," Hannah's voice cracked. Maybe it was just the connection.

"Where are you?" I repeated, hoping she understood.

"Some town, I don't know! I gotta go, we're coming into this inn. We were gonna call-"

"Inn? What inn? I'm in a hotel right now," I interrupted. Maybe she was in the same town, coming to the same inn!

"I dunno, it was the closest one we could find," Hannah announced. "We might just end up staying here until a plane or a helicopter or something can help us get out of Japan. I'll call you back when we figure everything out."

"Bye," I sighed. I didn't want to lose contact with Hannah again. "I love you," I added quickly.

"Love you, too," I heard her reply. The phone cut off right before I went to hang up, anyways.

The bell on the front door of the inn jingled, signaling someone was entering. I couldn't believe the pleasant sound I was hearing. Could it be...

I turned to face the door. It was!

"Hannah!" I called. She noticed me immediately, and ran to me. I picked her up in my arms, and spun her around. Talk about a family reunion. It wasn't even like I was across the sea fighting in war or something, but we hugged for several minutes before she slipped out of my arms.

That's when I noticed who was standing by the door watching us.

"Ty?" I asked in surprised. My brain instantly made the connection that he must've been one of the gamers in the booth for the afternoon.

"Hey," he replied awkwardly. "How's it going?"

"Oh, pretty good, since I'm alive and so is my daughter," I replied honestly. "It's good to see you."

"You too," he smiled quickly. "I'd love to have a conversation, but I'd rather have it in America. When can someone come pick us up? Is there an airport running?"

"Maybe awhile away from here, right? They probably wouldn't have planes taking off so close to a disaster site," Hannah chimed in.

"That's probably true," I agreed. The Japanese lady at the hotel desk looked up for a moment, looking at us through her thick glasses, before proceeding to file papers. Maybe that was her cover for listening to us. Nobody else was here, except for an old man who was asleep in a chair by the elevator. I wondered if he even knew what had just happened in the past hour.

The lady looked older, as well, and I wondered if she could even clearly hear what we were discussing. Her black hair had light streaks in it.

"Maybe we should ask the lady at the front desk," Ty suggested. "She must know something about leaving to go back to the States."

"What if she doesn't speak English?" Hannah worried aloud.

"We can at least try," I replied, clearing the distance from my previous position to the messy desk. "Excuse me, ma'am?"

"Yes?" she looked up from her filing. It looked like she still had lots of work to do.

"Whew, at least that problem's solved," I heard Ty sigh behind me as he spoke to Hannah.

"We were wondering if you could tell us when and where the next flight leaves for the United States?"

The lady raised her eyebrows at me. Her slightly wrinkled skin creased even more with the gesture.

"Some helicopters have been coming by. If you have your passports, I could probably help you get on one. They've been taking people on their way home."

"Well, uh-" I stuttered. "We don't have our passports. They were swept away during the tsunami."

"Oh," the lady's eyes fell to the floor. "Well, I'm sure we can make arrangements. Well, I'm not sure, actually, but there must be a way to get you three home. I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you, thank you," I sighed in relief.

"Take a seat," the lady offered. "I might be a little while, making some calls."