chapter twenty-eight:

Read the note at the end of the chapter!

-- C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - E I G H T --

"He's really pushing you to be his girlfriend," Jade said as she placed the bowl of fruit slices on the table the next morning. "what are you going to do?"

I take a strawberry and dip it into the cottage cheese. "I don't know, honestly." I say. "I really like the man, but he has this weird way of wanting a relationship."

"Oh yeah," Jade nods. "the whole contract thing."

"I mean, do you think I should do it?" I ask.

Shrugging, Jade pops a piece of waffle into her mouth. "I don't see any problem in that, Am." she replies. "I mean, if it doesn't work out, you can cut ties. No legal fees or strings attached. It's that simple."

I started to consider this, and nodded in agreement. Maybe fighting against the contract wasn't necessary. Maybe I was wrong about Freddie and his proposition. Besides, if it didn't work out in the end, I could just walk away. No strings attached.

I feel my phone vibrate into the pocket of my sweats. I take it out to see a text came from Freddie. I was a bit perplexed at the hour he'd decided to message me. I seem to think, that because he's a rich man, he tends to sleep in. He probably didn't considering the amount of clientele and business meetings he had.

'I'm in the area. Would you like me to buy you breakfast, Ms. Helgard?'

"What's he saying?" Jade asked, noticing me reading the text.

"He's asking if he could buy me breakfast." I reply, not looking up from my phone.

"With the kind of money he has," Jade starts, diving her head towards her fork to eat the remainder of her waffle. "he could buy a country a whole Thanksgiving meal for three months!"

"I don't know if I should go," I state with a sigh. "this whole thing with Freddie is bipolar."

"I think you want to avoid getting kissed by him again," my best friend smirks. "I mean, it sounds like to me you've forgiven him for his actions, and you've already justified potentially agreeing to a contract with him, so stop being a little bitch and just go hang out with him."

"Fine," I state. "but if he pisses me off, the blame's on you."

"Noted, sister!" she calls out as I place my plate into the sink. "Now go get ready and look cute for your sugar daddy!"

I roll my eyes. "It's not like that, Jade!" I begin to trek down the hallway.

"It could be! Free sex and free money! What more can you want?" Jade chuckles as she plops her dish in the sink soon after.

The problem I have with Jade is she doesn't know what I want half the time. I don't want sex because I'm waiting for the right person, and hanging out with Freddie just to get paid seemed wrong.

I close the door to my bedroom and lock it. Taking out my phone, I begin to type a reply back to Freddie.

'That sounds fine. I'll be ready in twenty minutes.'

------------

Drying my hair with a towel, I look at myself in the mirror and note how wavy my hair looks when it's wet. I decide to grab the canister of mouse and apply the white spray substance into my hair. After I've finished applying the hair care product, I grab a pair of jeans and drape a button up shirt over my black tank top. Thank God this shirt I'm wearing underneath the button up isn't a see-through.