chapter seven:

-- C H A P T E R
S E V E N --

His lips tasted like mint and honey. Cool to the touch, sticky and sweet for the aftertaste.

I had my eyes widened at the action taking place. I couldn't move because I had succomb to the want and desire of his lips on mine. This beautiful, breathtaking man, was kissing me.

I wasn't sure what to do next. However, it didn't take long for my motor skills to respond. I fluttered my eyes closed, then gently placed my right hand on his cheek; pressing my lips against his in return.

Freddie took note of this and towered over me, ranging a free hand in the back of my head as he slithers his tongue inside my mouth; exploring every ounce of it with his nicotine and booze flavored tongue.

When it entered my mouth, the taste of cigarette engulfed my taste buds, causing me to become light-headed at the feeling. Then the whiskey poured itself into the back of my throat; sweetening the kiss with a drastic, epitome of a cure.

I kissed back, my tongue battling against his; innocence meeting danger in the flesh. I couldn't get enough.

I wanted more.

Before I could run my other hand through his hair, Freddie pulled back, panting. He looks at me, and, without warning, he rises.

"I think you should leave now, Ms. Helgard," Freddie says simply, his tone hoarse but his body distant.

"O-Okay." I stammer, feeling utterly embarrassed. My cheeks became flushed, and I somehow felt like an idiot for even continuing the kiss. He's my boss for crying out loud!

I quickly rise to my feet and run my hands through my hair. Awkwardly, I walk to the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Mr. Highmore." I say, then immediately leave his office.

What the Hell did I just do?

°°

It was 5:40a.m by the time I went to sleep. It had dawned on me that I had been at Freddie's office for nearly an hour. I have no idea how I ended up at my apartment at 3:54a.m, maybe I was too focused on the previous incident at hand? Or maybe it was the on-going traffic I endured on my way home? Either way:  How did I lose track of time?

When I placed my head on my pillow, I dreamt about blue eyes looking down on me; desire hidden beneath the barrier of dominance.

I wanted more from this man, but did he want me?

°°

I awoke to the sound of my alarm blaring off my least favorite Katy Perry song. I had that as my alarm ringtone as a reminder that there are better songs out there than Firework.

I quickly get out of bed and go into the bathroom for my morning routine. I had approximately thirty minutes to be ready and out the door.

Just as I was fixing my bangs with a straightener, I hear my phone vibrate on the surface on the back of the toilet seat. I run a comb through my non-frizzy hair, and checked my notification. On the screen, in bold letters, was a text from Freddie.

I need you in my office pronto.
I've got a lot going on this month and am in dire need of your assistance.

I look at the text and knit my eyebrows together. Well, someone woke up with a brutal hangover...

I quickly type out a reply.

I'm sorry, Mr. Highmore, but I can't. I have class in less than an hour, and I need to get going now or I will be late.

I click SEND, then proceed to get dressed. As I was clasping my bra together, I hear my phone vibrate on the counter once again. I quickly slipped on my plain white tee, and look at the text message lying before me.

I don't think you understand how this works, Ms. Helgard:
You work for me now. Which means, if I want you at my office PRONTO, you're going to do it because I said so.

I groan. This man can't seriously believe I'm some superhero! I don't have telepathy, and I sure as Hell don't teleport to places. I didn't know what to do, so I just asked the question I should have asked before I accepted this job.

Okay, Mr. Highmore, how am I going to tend to your beck and call AND find time to attend my courses?

I send it off to him and then race to the kitchen where a banana awaited me in the fruit bowl.

A moment later, a message surfaced.

I don't care how you do it.
JUST GET TO MY OFFICE NOW!

I sigh. There was just no winning with him...

I take my phone and dial a number, placing the phone up to my ear, and wait.

"Austin University how may I help you?"

"Yes..." I sigh, "I'm calling because I'm informing you that I will not be attending my classes today. There's a bit of an emergency..."

°°°