The Truth Unfolds

Cassiopeia Nott

Cassiopeia Nott

Astoria paced back in forth, rubbing her chin in thought. I watched her walk back and forth from my bed. I told her about all I had learned on our little spy mission and about what I suspect Draco's trying to do.

She stopped in front of me after a few more long moments of silence. "No." She said.

"No?"

"No Draco is not trying to kill Dumbledore."

I sighed. "Then what was he trying to accomplish when giving Katie the necklace? Are you saying he didn't know it was cursed?"

"Maybe. It's not even his necklace. It's his mother's."

"And do you think Narcissa Malfoy, who loves Draco more than anything in the whole world, would give her son a cursed necklace?" 

"Well, no. But-"

"But what, Tori?" I got off the bed to face her. "There is no other possible explanation. Believe me, I want there to be and I stayed up all last night trying to come up with something, anything, that could prove this is one big misunderstanding and I've got nothing."

"Well if you're so sure, then we need to go warn Dumbledore." I opened my mouth to speak but was quickly cut off. "Oh, wait. We can't do that because we don't have any evidence and it sounds bloody crazy!" She let out a sort of laugh and ran a stressed hand through her hair. "Have you even talked to Draco yet?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at the thought. "No"

"Maybe you should ask him."

"Ask what? Oh, hey Draco! Are you trying to murder our headmaster?" I asked in a mocking voice. 

"Not like that." Astoria huffed, growing angry at the accusation I've made about her little crush. "Look, I definitely think Draco is caught up in something he shouldn't be, but I seriously doubt it's that serious."

"I want to believe that too. Do you think I enjoy going around accusing my friends of attempted man slaughter?" I took her hands in mine. "Tori, I wouldn't be telling you this if I wasn't so sure I'm right."

"Telling her what?" A voice asked from the doorway. Draco leaned against the door frame with a green apple in his hand. 

"Nothing." I answered before Astoria had the chance. "Just school stuff." I moved away to pretend to rummage through my night stand. I can barely look at Draco right now and if he finds out I'm onto him....I don't really want to think about what might happens if he finds out.

"Ready to go?" Astoria asked, taking her bag from off her bed. 

I shot her a "What are you doing!? He's a killer!" look when I caught her eye. She shook her head and turned back to Draco. "Draco's helping me study. Transfiguraton is kicking my ass this year."