It's Time

Before Esther had the big argument with her parents, Jeremy had some issues on her own.

On this tragic afternoon, Jeremy was driving home from work. Before going to his apartment, he made a quick stop at Esther's house. He had a long day and desired some company. Her house was empty, though. He waited for a while, but she never came. Disappointed, he went straight to his house, did some grocery shopping, and walked to the gym.

Two hours of workout found him exhausted and staggering through his door.

As the door opened, a cold, "Hey, honey!" welcomed him.

"Leonie! What a surprise!"

"Surprise? Today's the 16th, remember? "

"Yeah... The ... 16th," he said as he raked through his memory.

"I took two weeks off work to spend with you,"

"Oh, yeah! Sorry, hun. I had a long day," he dropped himself on the sofa and put his arm around her. She stiffened.

Jeremy tried to talk to her, but one or two quick words would answer everything he asked.

Suddenly she asked, "Do you miss your parents?"

"My mom and dad?"

"Yeah,"

"I didn't know them, but I wish they were alive,"

She paused, "Do you think you would have been a different person if they were here?"

"Certainly, but they still impact my lives even if they're..."

"How so?"

"I try to be the best person possible, always to do the right thing because I felt like there's been a trade of life. Somehow, I felt fortunate that I'm the one who's alive. So, I guess I owe whoever gave me this chance to live,"

She didn't reply.

Jeremy rolled his eyes, "What did I do? What is it? Why the cold shoulder?"

She snorted, "You don't know?"

"No, is it because I forgot you were coming? I had such a rough day and..."

She interrupted, "Are you cheating on me with Esther?"

"What??!!"

"Answer,"

Jeremy pulled his arm away from his shoulder and looked at her straight in the eye, "No, no. I would never cheat on you. Where did you get this idea?"

"Why were you shirtless at her house?"

"H-how... I mean... What are you saying?" He was caught off guard.

Leonie was surprisingly calm, "You deny it?"

"Yes! No! I mean, I was wearing my undershirt, but we were not doing anything,"

"Why were you on your undershirt? I'd love to know,"

"My shirt was wet. Wet with water. She wrapped her hair with it because all of her clothes were in the washer. Not all of her clothes! She was wearing clothes, but she needed a..."

"I'm gonna stop you right there,"

"Darling, please. I would never cheat on you. Who told you that?"

"Remember the pastor you introduced me to? The one you want to marry us? I saw him when I came because you were running late and I went for a walk. He told me that he was concerned about our engagement because she found you shirtless with Esther, and she was all over you,"

"This guy is Esther's ex-boyfriend. Her daughter's father. He abandoned her when she got pregnant..."

"Jeremy, stop!"

He was startled. Leonie has never raised her voice before.

She continued, "Even if your crazy story is true. That's not the problem here,"

"What's the problem? Tell me,"

"What's really going on between you and Esther? You have no other female friend. You're always talking about her. You followed her here!"

"I did not... There's nothing. I mean it. I'm just helping her out. She's going through a lot,"

"I understand. But it's killing me to see you obsessing over a woman who's not me. I can't take it anymore,"

"I'm not obsessing. I'm just helping her out. She's part of my big purpose of giving back to God for sparing my life. Leonie, please. I don't love her. She's nothing to me,"

She shook her head, "I don't believe you,"

As if the timing couldn't be worse, Jeremy's phone started ringing. He took a quick look and dismissed the call.

"Who was that?"

"..."

"It was her. Wasn't it? You had this look on your face,"

Jeremy admitted, "Yes, but maybe she wanted something,"

"This late at night?"

Jeremy couldn't answer as the phone rang again.

Leonie got up.

"Wait! Look at what I'm going to do,"

She looked as he blocked her phone number. He looked back at her.

"Leonie. You're the love of my life. My priority. My fiancee. I asked you to marry me because I want to spend my life with you,"

No response. No emotions.

"You're the perfect girl. Every dude would kill to be with someone like you. I'm grateful every day just for having you in my life,"

He reached for her hand. After a moment of hesitation, she took it.

"I'm sorry, Jeremy. I don't want to be the controlling and jealous girlfriend, but it's hard. It's hard being away from you right before our wedding,"

"No, I'm sorry. I..."

"And I don't mind you hanging out with Esther, but maybe you should stop acting like her father. Let her do her own thing,"

Jeremy took a deep breath, "You know what? I will get the results of my board exam in a few days. If I pass, I'll apply for my license, and we'll get married earlier. I can't wait anymore,"

She smiled, "I guess the argument was worth it,"

He glanced at his watch, "Darling, it's late,"

She pouted, " But, I just came,"

"Come on! You're gonna enjoy my soft blankets and fluffy pillows while I'm gonna fold myself on the sofa,"

She whispered, "You don't have to sleep on the sofa, you know?"

"Hun, please. Don't tempt me,"

"I'm just saying. It's going to be a cold night,"

"I have wool,"

"Come on, Jeremy. Maybe it's finally the right time to start..."

"Nah. It doesn't feel right. I would feel rushed. Raincheck to the wedding night?"

She rolled her eyes, "I guess,"

Much later, as Jeremy was folded on the sofa, he quickly unblocked Esther and sent a text message. He wrote, "I had to deal with some stuff. Is everything okay?"

Seeing no reply, he shrugged and turned off the light.

Maybe that was a sign. Leonie was his priority, and anyone that threatened their relationship will have to go.

Even if it was Esther. He ached at the thought.