Stephen

Flashback

"Steph, do you think I'm... beautiful?"

"Everyone is beautiful in God's eyes." He answered without lifting his eyes from his Math textbook.

"But, am I beautiful in your eyes?"

"Why are you asking me that?" He asked trying to figure out the answer to a Math problem.

"The answer is C," she revealed.

He looked up to her and smiled, "How can you be smarter than me while you're still in high school ?"

"I'm taking three college classes, so I know some stuff."

When he closed the book, he caught Esther staring at him.

"Steph, do you think I'm beautiful?" She started to sound desperate.

He cupped her cheeks, "You're the smartest girl in the world."

She gently pushed his hands away, "Why are you with me?"

He shrugged, "You're different."

"Physically?"

"Nah. Just different."

End of flashback

Their lips were sealed for a minute. They explored each other with their eyes, looking for changes and features that remained the same over seven years.

Stephen had grown a stubble but his features were still as harmonious. Stephen was like a marble sculpture. Pale and smooth to the point of delicacy. He was like a work of art set on a pedestal where the rest of world is forced to look up. His eyes were bright, even beneath a summer sunrise. There also was his smile. The smile. There was no word to describe it. Whenever his snow-like enamels would appear under a grin, warmth and utter delight would diffuse throughout his surroundings.

"Is it really you?" He asked.

She nodded.

After coming down from his bewilderment, he asked, "So, you work here now?"

"Yes, and I need to take care of your balloon order before I go home," she said trying to sound professional.

"Who cares about balloons? I'll do it tomorrow. I'd rather catch up with you now."

"I really need to go home," She said in a tone that didn't sound convincing even to herself.

"Come on, Esther. Come get a coffee with me, at least. Please."

She was ready to protest but Stephen got the upper hand when he looked at her straight in the eyes and added, "Gosh, I missed you!"

They sat in the back after Stephen got their coffee orders. Simple black coffee for him and a Signature latte along with a strawberry doughnut for her.

"How have you been all this time?" He asked.

"I obviously survived." She replied

"I wish you'd call me. I was worried about you all this time." His words sounded truthful, but Esther chose not to answer.

She didn't believe him. He felt it. He knew it. Reaching for her hands, he gently squeezed them and said, "I didn't know. I thought they send you to some relatives' house. Believe me. I didn't know."

"No one knew where I was?" She asked.

"Not until months. I personally went to your mother and that's when she told me what happened. I wanted to look for you but it was too late."