Isn't It Romantic?

"Alright, ma'am. We are done for the day," Jeremy told the patient after they completed the stretching exercises.

"Thank you, sir. I feel like my knee is in way better shape than before. You're a little miracle worker!" the elderly woman said.

Jeremy flashed a smile, "You're flattering me, ma'am"

"Although I don't mind you treating me. I still wonder where my old occupational therapist is."

"Oh, Ms. Kumar is still here. I'm just the assistant," Jeremy answered while recording her progress in a chart.

"You're doing great as an assistant. .You have the skills and the manners!"

"Again, you flatter me, Mrs. Marcie."

The lady cleared her throat, "Marcelin, not Marcie," she corrected.

Jeremy raised an eyebrow, "Marcelin. A beautiful last name. Quite rare, even."

"Yes. My name is Dinah Marcelin. I'm from Haiti, 'Marcelin' is more common there."

He smiled in recognition, "That's great! I have a friend whose last name is also Marcelin. She has Haitian roots as well."

Her eyes were wide open, "Really? What's her name?"

"Esther. Esther Marcelin," he said noticing the bitterness in his own voice while pronouncing her name.

Her mouth opened slightly as if in shock but she regained her composure quickly enough and straightened her blouse.

"I don't know who that is."

"Too bad. With all the similarities, I thought you might be related."

She stood up, "Sir, I need to go. Thank you for your time."

Before closing the door, she said with an icy tone, "Next time, I wish to see Ms. Kumar."

Jeremy shrugged and released an heavy sigh, once she walked off, "She would have easily passed for Esther 's relative if we judge by attitude."

Later, when he arrived at his place, he quickly removed his scrubs and jumped in the shower. He'd managed to get a room with bathroom included at an affordable price. He was also allowed to use the kitchen since his renter enjoyed eating out. In fact, his roommate wouldn't come until late at night and Jeremy sometimes felt like the place belonged to him.

He then pulled on some jeans on and threw a light shirt over his broad shoulders before heading downstairs. He wrapped an apron around his waist and started on dinner. While cooking, he realized that he'd cleaned the meat with lime juice, just like Esther taught him.

Esther.

As much as he tried to push her away from his thoughts, she kept coming back. She was burrowing her way to his mind as if she belonged there. His thoughts led him to the past, when they officially met.

"Miss, we're closing in two minutes. If you want to check out any books, I would advise to do it now. If not, you may gather your stuff to exit the building," Jeremy said.

"Are you kicking me out? Do you even work here?" she answered, her tone salty.

"I'm a volunteer, but miss it's almost time," he insisted.

He took a quick glance at the screen of the computer. The girl had typed "No experience jobs near me" on the search bar. Without worrying about how nosy it looked, he then peeked on the papers she was frantically filling. It was unemployment papers. He felt his heart squeezed and wondered if he was being too harsh on someone who was having a hard time.