Decision Time

"Thanks for meeting with me, Esther," the old man said.

"Of course, Mr. Foster," she replied and shook the hands he offered.

She looked at him and couldn't help seeing a much older version of Jeremy. The same towering height, a pretty much similar oval face, and the deep creases around the mouth when they smile. What differed them was that Jeremy's skin had the color of Turmeric powder, and his deep brown eyes reminded her of the wet humus of fertile soil. 

"So, what's your decision? You want to be transferred to Red Valley?" He chose the blunt approach.

"I'm not sure..."

Mr. Foster raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know if I want to move right now," Esther explained.

"I know that moving can be difficult, but it's worth it. As an assistant manager, you'll get paid more. You'll also get more hours because the store only has two assistant managers." Mr. Foster pointed out.

"That sounds good. Maybe I won't even have to work two jobs."

He added, a touch of impatience growing in his voice. "I personally recommended you. You might not see this opportunity twice."

Esther looked away for a while. It did seem like a dream come true. A better salary, more free time since she wouldn't have to work two jobs. And maybe she could go back to school. But why Red Valley? Why there?

"Is there any other place?"

"Not right now. And life in Red Valley is so cheap and peaceful. You'll like it."

She took a deep breath.

"Is everything alright?" Mr. Foster asked.

"I accept."

"You do?" He asked in disbelief.

"Of course. I can't let that opportunity fly away. As you said."

"Fantastic! For a moment, I thought you were going to say no."

He leaned in to give her a firm handshake.

He then added, "I guess everyone is leaving me now."

Esther raised an eyebrow, "Everyone?"

"Yes. My best employee and my grandson."

"Jeremy is leaving?"

Mr. Foster sighed, "Temporarily. He's going to get hands-on practice as an occupational therapist assistant for three months before applying for his license."

"Good for him!!" Esther exclaimed. It was nice to see someone else moving on with their life and following their dream.

"Absolutely. I always hoped that he would take over the store, but I think that he'll be way better as an occupational therapist. At least he'll earn more," his gaze was lost on the wall decorated by schedules and post-its, and his mind probably went somewhere farther.

Esther stood up and said, "It was nice meeting with you, Mr. Foster. Thank you for everything. Now I have to pick up my daughter from school."

He snapped his fingers as his face beamed, "Why don't you come over to the house later and have dinner with us all? Jeremy will be here with his girlfriend."

"I would not like to impose..." Esther started.

"Come on! You know you're already part of the family."

"No, really. That's nice..."

"No arguments. You are going to celebrate your new promotion with us. My wife and I already cooked extra food,"