Chapter 7: The Flesh Carver

Lina's POV

I look around me and see that I am surrounded by darkness. I begin to panic, not knowing where I am. Where's Spencer? Glancing down, I realize that I'm barefoot and standing in water. Wait, no. I'm standing on water.

Suddenly, I see a light in front of me—it grows brighter and brighter until I am blinded by it. Squinting my eyes, I see a tall figure in front of me.

"Spencer, is that you?" I call out. The light fades and I see him standing there, smiling at me. I leap forward to hug him but he moves back. Confused, I try again and he starts moving further away from me. I start running, trying to catch him but eventually, he gets too far away and disappears. 

Tears stream down my face. "No, no, no... Spencer! Spencer! Spencer!"

"Hey, hey. I'm here," a voice says.

I slowly open my eyes and see a bright light on the ceiling. Turning my head, I see Spencer, his eyes round with worry. "Oh, hey, Spence." As I become more aware of my surroundings, I feel his hand in mine. "What happened? And where am I?"

"You're in a hospital, you had surgery for appendicitis." His voice is calm.

"That explains the IV needle in my arm," I joke and he smiles. Just then, I realize the scar on my wrist is completely exposed, so I quickly use my free hand to cover it up but Spencer stops me.

"Lina...." He stares down at our interlocked hands and massages his thumb over my knuckles.

I look up at him and see his worried expression. "What's wrong, Spencer?"

"Why didn't you tell me that you were abducted before, and that your name used to be Angelina?"

I feel my heart drop. He figured it out. "What are you talking about?" I smile and play dumb, but he shakes his head.

"Lina, this scar on your wrist," he says, "it's the same one as the victims of the Flesh Carver."

We lock eyes with each other for a few moments, and I feel tears running down my cheeks.

"Oh, Lina. I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have brought this up." He squeezes my hand.

I sigh. "I just never told anyone because I have trouble trusting others."

"You don't need to talk about it." He cups my hand in his.

"No, I have to. For so long, I've kept this to myself—it's time that I told someone about it," I say firmly. Spencer has been nothing but nice to me for the past 2 months. He brings me coffee every morning, keeps me company late at night so I can finish up some work, and even bought Pumpkin my cat a little hat for his birthday.

"Whenever you're ready." Spencer leans closer to me.

I nod and take a shuddering breath. "It happened on the day of my 24th birthday...."

Three years ago.

"Angelinaaaa!" Phoebe calls my name from the living room.

"I'm almost ready!" I yell back from the bathroom.

Today is my 24th birthday and Phoebe somehow convinced me that we should go clubbing. I slip on the lacy black dress that she picked out for me and look in the mirror. The neckline is too low and the dress is too short. Ugh, Phoebe. I mentally groan.

"What is taking you so long?" Phoebe comes in and looks up and down at me. "Well, well, well—you look hot."

"Shut up." I roll my eyes playfully.