Wow, Such A Friend (Edited)

Dad's sympathy oozed from his face at the table. After all these days of working, he finally had an off day; one which he would like to spend with me, but I was in too bad of a mood to even say good morning. He had cooked eggs and bacon with a jelly doughnut he had left over from a batch he brought last night; he night everything took a turn for the worse.

I picked around my plate, not really having an appetite. I took a few small bites here and there, but nothing major.

"Thanks Dad," I said.

"No problem sweetie," he said.

"Okay, I'm leaving."

"Okay, have a great day at school."

"I will."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

I walked outside to a sick twist of fate. Ted was walking out of his house as well. I directed my glare to the ground, and watched the pavement as I walked. The heat outside had grew hotter than the previous days, signifying summer's soon arrival.

I had dressed appropriately, wearing a mid-sized skirt with a pink flannel. I took a quick look to my left, over to Ted's direction. It appeared we were walking in unison. Almost as if we intentionally copied each other's movements. He had done the same thing as me of avoiding eye contact, but he was looking straight ahead. Not turning his glare any other way. It felt like the most awkward walk I had in my life, and we were on two different sides of the street.

I only made it worse by getting my hopes up, thinking that he would say something; then even more by questioning whether or not to say something myself. The feeling was so deep and exerted on my chest that I was certain he would at least say hi, but it was wrong; making me feel worse.

It might have been my fault. Or maybe his, but I didn't care, it hurt regardless. We made it to school at the same time, but he was a little ahead. He silently opened the door and let me go first. I felt obligated to say thank you, but it was too tense. So I just walked through.

"Aww such a gentleman for his lady," Zach said.

"We broke up," Ted said emotionless.

"Oh," Zach said awkwardly.

I continued to walk, not wanting to hear the rest of the unpleasant conversation.

"Hello Woodsman," Scarlett smiled as I sat down at the table.

"Viral already," I asked.

"Yes, like a forest fire," Scarlett joked, cracking up, "fortunately there's no video."

"Original post?"

"Author unknown."

I sighed. Life truly sucked, and I hated it.

"What happened?"

"From the beginning?"

"It would put a bow on everything."

She did talk a lot, but she knew what things to keep between us. This would be one of them.

"Well everything was going good until I had to go to the bathroom."

"Um hum."

"So I heard these girls talking about some girl, and so I tried to listen in."

"But the girl was you."

"Yeah. They were laughing at how I danced, my personality, calling me ugly, saying Ted should break up with me."

"And you thought about what they said."