Chapter 5

NATHALIE

Even though some of the terms and conditions annoyed me, I signed the contract without further ado. I signed on both papers and gave them to the prince. He also signed above his name.

He got the one piece and put it in his bag. He gave me the folder with the other piece.

"This is your copy," he said.

This was real. I would pretend to be his girlfriend for the sake of my title and family rights. But...

"Why me?" I asked without thinking. I stared at him, "In all the beautiful ladies in the court, why will you choose someone titleless?"

He smirked as if the answer was obvious, "You're the only one who will do my terms and conditions. Those ladies in the court only want to be a queen, and I don't want any of them to be my queen."

Curious, I did not hesitate to question him, "Why? Who do you want to be your queen?"

He glared at me, "You just signed the contract, but you already forgot that we should not interfere with each other's business?"

I pouted my lips and would die with curiosity later. Wait, he bought a box of condoms yesternight. Did it mean he had someone already? Oh, he wanted her to be his queen, but why should I pretend to be his girlfriend if he already had one?

What? Do not tell me a girlfriend was just a cover-up, but all he wanted was to be a bachelor until the end of his life! The condom last night. Maybe he used it with some hookups. My mom would surely scold me for knowing this word.

I was shocked and looked at him with mischievous eyes and a smile. Of course, he was a crown prince, and people were hoping for him to have an heir with a beautiful lady.

"Why are you smiling?" He was irritated. He possibly saw his secret with my facial expression. "By the way," he extended his left arms towards me, "This is our first day. I'm Prince Theodore, the Crown Prince of Luvia. Nice meeting you, my lady."

I sighed and could not hide my giggles. This was too much, but I just came along. I held his hand and enthusiastically responded, "I'm Nathalie Hendlefort, the future Duchess of North Valley."

We shook hands, and the server, Julie arrived with a tray containing the strawberry cake, a cup of coffee, a cup of Frappuccino, bread knives and forks, and two plates.

There was an older woman behind Julie. Her wrinkled face told everyone how old she was. She stood smaller, and her back was already curved. She wore an apron and old designed dress underneath. She was undoubtedly a beautiful lady during her prime.

What made me wonder about her was when she looked at me, then the prince and our conjoined hands. When I removed my hand to the grasp of the prince, the old woman followed my hand, or she was looking at my bracelet. There was a recognition in her expression—a sudden sadness and another unknown emotion when she looked back again to His Royal Highness.

"Why are you doing this again?" She said with a husky voice.

My eyes got bigger, and I whispered at the prince, "Did you went here with another girl?"

He shook his head, "No, this is my first time here."

Julie was done putting all the things from her tray to our table and curtsied, "I'm sorry my grandmother has already dementia, but she made the cake with all her strength and love."

"I don't have dementia," Julie's grandmother said, then pointed the prince with her index finger, "I still know you. You're here to break Dorothy's heart again." The old lady looked at me with tears in her eyes.