Chapter 17

NATHALIE

I was just dreaming of joining the ladies in court a few nights ago, but, now, I was walking in the hallway with the lead of Luke, Prince Theo's secretary, until we reached another large double door.

"Here is the ballroom area, ma'am," he informed, and two guards pulled each door.

Even though the whole palace had good ventilation, and today's climate was not hot, my hands were sweaty and, I was worried about the gloves I was wearing. What if the water extracting from my palms would be visible there?

The ballroom could fit three hundred people if my estimation were reliable. There was a wide space in the middle of the room, where a mini platform was placed. Tables with red clothing were on the sides. In every corner, drinks and finger foods were being served.

The women were all glamourous. It seemed they picked the best gowns for this night. Their makeups and hair were unquestioningly done by famous personalities of that area. They animatedly smiled as if trying to build friendships with their competitors.

I walked in the middle of the crowd, and some women turned their heads in my direction. Gladly, my social status was hidden by the gown, jewelry, and shoes the queen sponsored for me.

Should I curtsy to them? Most of the ladies here were from prominent families and daughters of the dukes or even the duchess themselves. I was not familiar with the current set of dukes and duchess and their families, but I was sure many of them considered me as another competitor for the prince's heart.

Oh, come on, I would not compete for the heart of that prince. He was just a piece of another problem if he became my real boyfriend.

Seeing only stranger faces, I felt I got lost in the forest of wild bears. The long they watched me, the more I realized that they were not friendly at all. Their voices were fake as well as their laughs. If not all, most of them had one goal, but only one lady could achieve that goal.

"Nathalie," I sighed in relief when I heard Princess Esther's voice. I looked around to see where she was, and I immediately saw her at the table near the platform. She waved her hand, "Come here."

I also saw Queen Isabella at the same table, with two other brunette women. When I got near them, I curtsied and greeted the queen and the princess.

"This is Nathalie Hedlefort," Queen Isabella introduced me to the two women. The queen waved her hand to the older woman, who I think was the same age as my mom, "Alice, Duchess of Schezkward, my sister. And," she moved her hand to the next woman who was younger, maybe a decade older than me, "Tanya, her daughter, and my beautiful niece."

I curtsied, "Your Grace, my..." before I could finish what I was saying, the duchess interrupted me.

"No, you won't to Tanya," she faced her daughter and gave her a signal.

I was confused, and the queen answered my unspoken question, "She is not an heir to the duchy of Schezkward, and you being in an intimate relationship with the Crown Prince ranked higher status than her."

That was awkward. If common people talked about ranks and status, this would be a brawl. But this was the queen speaking, and no one in this land would argue with her.

"Soon, she will be a duchess of Lasrofey," the duchess stated, her green eyes glittered proudly.

A maid-servant approached us and pulled the chair between Lady Tanya and Princess Esther. I sat when the queen nodded.

"Oh, the wedding will be next month, right?" the queen asked with the same excitement as her sister.

Lady Tanya nodded, "Yes, Your Majesty."