Chapter 7

NATHALIE

The best showmanship goes to none other than the Crown Prince of Luvia, Prince Theodore. He was too good as if a veteran actor trained him for years.

He shook each of my family's hands and kept on saying how happy he was meeting them finally. Of course, my family was thrilled to have a royal in our small home, and they almost swept the way up to our dining area.

My dad instantly removed his plate and went to the other head of the table. My mom, I don't have any idea how quickly she moved. She already had a cloth in her hand and wiped the area of the table dad had been.

"Your Royal Highness, we currently having our dinner," dad waved his hand, "If you don't mind, join us."

My mom pulled the chair on the head of the table, "My daughter bought it to the finest restaurant here..." She trailed off when she realized something.

I think all of them realized it because all of them looked at me as if I was a criminal.

It was Erie who voiced out the realization, "Oh, the prince bought the food."

I rolled my eyes and breathed out, "I was telling you earlier, but you keep interrupting me."

"Your Royal Highness, thank you for your grace," they all bowed again until their faces met our wood floor. Shay pulled me down to do the same.

"You don't have to do that," he held my arm and helped me stand. He helped my mom next. Dad and my sisters stood on their own, "I'm dating your daughter. You don't need to bow down to the ground. A curt and a bow of the head will do."

"Dating?" I raised my eyebrow at him, "They haven't agreed yet."

My mom waved her hand in front of me like silently saying I should shut up. She smiled to the prince, assuring, "You don't need our permission, Your Royal Highness. My daughter is all yours, right, honey?" She turned her head to dad.

Dad nodded, "Your Royal Highness, please have yourself feel at home."

I gained the attention of my mother after a few moments of staring at her with my wrinkled forehead and mouthed to her, "Mom, are you selling me?"

"Shut up," she mouthed back.

We all sat again at our small dining table. This time, the prince was on the head table. I was on his left and in front of me was dad. Mom was sitting beside dad, and Shay was still beside me. Erie was moved on the other end.

After all the commotions, the food was still warm. Mom was all around to serve the prince his food. I wanted to stop her because this prince has two hands to help himself, but I think mom, an old-fashioned supporter of the monarch, would only look at me like I did treason.

Shay was not eating, and I felt her move closer to me. She whispered, "Is he...Is he really the prince?"

I squinted my eyes to her, "What do you think? Does he look like an imitation?"

Prince Theo chuckled and got a more admirable response to my youngest sister, "I'm Theodore for real. I live in the Kingsville, specifically, the Central Royal Palace."

"Oh," Erie, known to her second name big fan of the monarch, started to absorb what was in front of her, "I can't believe that you're here. My friends and I are always waiting for your pictures on the internet."

Shay seconded our sister but downgraded me, "Yes, and you are handsome in magazines but more handsome in person. I think if we meet first, you will date me. I'm prettier than Nat."

I laughed in disbelief and gave her a not so soft pat in her pretty head, "You're only thirteen and shut your mouth. Prettier? Huh?"

Shay held her head in tears, and Mom could not process the scene that just happened. "Nathalie," she said in embarrassment and turned to the prince, "I'm sorry for Nathalie's behavior."

Erie sighed in disappointment while Prince Theo laughed as if it was his first time to see a sibling fight. "It's okay," he said, "Nathalie got a temper, but she's still nice in her ways."

I looked back at him, "What does it even mean?"

"Your Royal Highness," dad finally said a word, but he stared at me, "My daughter, Nathalie, is the most precious one with the other two. She is not that smart and kind, but I assure you," he looked at the prince, "she will never be a disappointment."

I got teary-eyed with what dad's said. I suddenly remember how stubborn I was and how I broke every rule, but dad never got angry with me. He loved me as if I was the only thing he had in this world. I knew he also loved my sisters the same. He did everything for this family to have food on our plate, to have water and electricity. I could say I was not the best daughter, but I got the best dad.

Dad stood and bowed his head in front of the prince, "Please take care of my daughter."

The prince stood and tapped the shoulder of my father, "You have my word. I'll take care of her."

Yes, he would take care of me for two months, and we would break up. I just wanted to assure everyone that the breakup would be the smoothest one in history. There would be no cry, drama, and bitterness. We would be all happy because one day, my family's right to dukedom would be ours again.

We continued our dinner and had some talks about, of course, the prince. Erie, and now recovered, Shay asked the prince different questions from the fairytale books they were reading.

Erie even asked the prince to arrange the meeting between her and Prince Theo's younger brother, Prince Miguel. The audacity of this girl. The prince gave her a positive response. That would never happen.

"It's nice to meet you," Prince Theo was delighted as he shook the hand of each of my family. He stood beside me and announced, "I need to finish other business before we leave tonight. I should go now."

My mom and sisters curtsied, and dad bowed his head. "Take care, Your Royal Highness," mom said.

When the prince left, mom and my sisters bombarded me with questions, from how we met to how he treated me. I ran to my room and shouted to them, "I need to prepare my things for my flight tonight."

That prince, huh, if I did not know about our contract, I would believe with his words and his interaction with my family. Maybe if he was not a prince, indeed, he was an actor.

I got the biggest bag I had. Even though the prince said I should not bring anything, I should bring jeans and a t-shirt just in case dresses made me sick. I loved dresses, but I was not used to them.

Mom followed me to my room and helped me fold some of my t-shirts.

"So, where have you met?" mom sat on the bed and opened my bag.

I put the t-shirts in my bag and laughed nervously, "Well, he is a customer in the convenience store. I think it is love at first sight."

The sadness suddenly showed on her face, "You're a big girl now. You already know what you're getting into."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and avoided her gaze, "I think so." This is for us. This is for the future our family should have. My mom should have been a duchess now, but whatever twisted story happened in the past, she lived like a commoner throughout her life.

Mom went to my study table and got the box sitting there. It was the box she was talking about earlier—the things of my grandmother.

"You should bring this and read some of the papers here when you have vacant hour," she got another bag and put the box inside, "I know the prince will parade you, but of course, there will be times you will miss this place, you will miss us, but to avoid those lonely times, try to busy yourself by rummaging the things inside this box."

I smiled and went to mom. I hugged her, "Okay, mom. Thanks."

Mom removed my embrace, remembering a thing, "The prince said that you would be with him in the palace for the next few weeks. Have you already called your part-time?"

I got my phone in the pocket of my jeans, "Ah yes, I need to tell them that I will be away. I think they will find a replacement before I get back. Sorry, mom, if I could not help with finances."

Mom tapped my arm, "You don't have to worry about that. Your dad is doing great in his work. It's time for you to enjoy life. Work will still be there, but time will never go back."