Chapter 19

NATHALIE

"Mom, have you seen me in the news?" I exclaimed on my smartphone as soon as mom answered my call.

I could hear my sisters simultaneously speak in the background from the other line. Mom replied, "Yes, you're wonderful. The commentators on the TV keep on praising you."

I proudly told her, "The queen gave me the best team for my outfit, hair, and makeup. They did a great job."

I knew she was smiling at that moment with her teary-eyed, "Just stay on the ground and always be my awesome daughter, okay?"

I nodded and laughed when I realized there was no sense to nod at the phone, "Yes, mom. I'll always keep that in mind. By the way, the King said the other day that he sent guards in our home?"

"Oh, about that," I could hear her footsteps on the wooden surface of our floor. "They are guarding the front of our house. Since early this morning, reporters are roaming in our street."

That made me worried. Of course, being related to Royal Family and that stunt I made last night would surely attract reporters and disturb our peace in our home back in North Valley.

"How about dad?" I asked. Dad hated publicity the most. He was born as a commoner, and he only wanted to live normally forever. He hated the idea of returning the dukedom to our family, but we were not aligned with that idea.

"Your dad," she sighed, "He did not want to be guarded, you know him. But with all the reporters trying to interview one of us, he was transported safely from our home to his work."

"Good to hear, mom," I imagined dad's face during the transport. I guessed his eyebrows almost met. I should give him a call later.

Soft knocks came from the front door of my room. Elise opened it and curtsied, "Ma'am, breakfast is ready."

I nodded and returned to my smartphone. I saw Elise go to the walk-in closet. Mom heard my maid-servant, "I think you need to go. Always take care of yourself."

For my eighteen years, this was the first time I went far away without my family. A sudden pang of sadness stabbed my heart, "I'll call again, mom."

I hung up and fixed myself in the mirror. I put my hair into a bun and wore light makeup. I put on a checkered orange-red-yellow fitted dress. Its hem reached mid-thigh and was complimented by my pair of brown boots that covered until my mid-leg.

If I was still in my ordinary days in North Valley, this overall look I had now was for birthday parties or any holiday that had a party. However, living in the palace made this look like an ordinary breakfast with the royal family.

Elise approached me, holding a cream trench coat. Why did I need to wear a coat for an indoor breakfast? Regardless, I let her put it on me. Maybe, a protocol during the weekend or the king ordered to decrease the air condition temperature in the dining area.

After a few days in the palace, I already remember some of the hallways. I would not need a servant to lead the way toward the Royal Dining Room in two more days.

When Elise walked straight, I was about to turn left in the third to the last hallway to get into the dining area.

"Wait," I stopped, and she abrupted her steps. She turned to face me. I pointed to the correct hallway, "We should go here."

She bowed her head, "His Royal Highness requested you to have breakfast in the garden, ma'am."

"What?" that almost tore my mouth. The heck he was thinking. Was he too disgusted to see me at the same table because I did not allow him to kiss and touch me?