Chapter 2

The air in the apartment was cool, even in the late May afternoon with the balcony door open. Even more reason that Marie wanted to get Lauryn situated in a warm bath. Instead, she was standing in front of her much shorter girlfriend, who was naked save for a winter hat and a wet diaper. Arguing. 

"P-p-p-please, n-n-n-no, I'm s-s-s-so ugly. I d-d-don't w-want y-you t-t-to s-s-see m-m-me l-l-like this," Lauryn said, holding onto the beanie covering her bandaged head. 

They been home several days and now it was time to change the dressings on Lauryn's head. Marie wanted to wash her little remaining hair during her bath and then put on fresh dressings. When they operated, they had shaved the back of Lauryn's head, leaving some hair on the sides and top. The bandages covered the entire back of her head and wrapped around her forehead. The beanie, a suggestion from the nurses, helped cover the bandages and keep them where they were supposed to be. Even though the nurses had shown her what to do, she hadn't seen Lauryn's wounds herself yet. 

"Sweetheart, you could be missing all your hair and I would still think you are the most beautiful girl in the world."

This did little to help Lauryn's distress. While Marie would have otherwise left her alone for a little while to calm down, she wasn't safe on her own. Not yet anyway.

Lauryn was still holding onto the winter hat as Marie ripped the tapes of her diaper and eased her down into the bath water, holding her under her armpits. Gently, Marie released Lauryn's grip and held her hands in hers.

"Lauryn, sweetheart, we do need to wash your hair and change your dressings. The nurse said I need to change them once every couple days. I promise, baby, I don't think you're ugly. All I care about is keeping you healthy and helping you heal."

Lauryn finally met her gaze and Marie noticed her lip trembling.

"Don't cry, baby."

"I used t-t-t-to h-h-h-have p-p-p-pretty h-h-h-hair. When I w-w-was small, it was the only thing I l-l-liked about m-m-myself...even when m-m-my m-mother s-s-said it was ugly. N-n-now it is."

Lauryn burst into tears and Marie's heart broke. Standing, Marie pulled off her clothes before climbing into the bathtub behind Lauryn. Then she gathered her close and pressed her lips to her still-covered forehead. Lauryn clung to her as she sobbed, unable to calm herself.

"Ssh, monkey, I'm right here. Your hair will grow back, sweetheart. Even better than before."

Lauryn shook her head and pressed her face to Marie's neck. Eventually, Marie's gentle rocking and the sound of her voice calmed Lauryn.

"You remember what I always tell you what I want to do?"

Lauryn shook her head again but mumbled, "Take c-c-care of m-m-me. P-p-protect m-m-m-me."

"That's right, Lauryn. All I've ever wanted to do is take care of you and protect you. Regardless of whether you have a lion's mane or no hair whatsoever. I waited so long for God to give me you, and I can tell you that I didn't ask him for just some girl with nice hair. I asked for exactly you, sweetheart."

Turning, Lauryn put her arms around Marie's neck and hugged her.

"S-s-sorry that I p-p-p-panicked."

"I think your reaction was normal, darling. And I know with everything that happened that your trust in me is not where it used to be."

"I l-l-love you," she said softly. 

"I love you more, monkey. Now, can I wash your head?"

Sitting back, Lauryn bit her lip and slowly nodded.