Chapter 26

"Okay, monkey, mama has a meeting in a few minutes so you'll have to stay here. I'll lock the door so no one comes in while I'm gone."

Lauryn nodded silently. 

After Marie had calmed Lauryn down in the park, she had managed to pull her a little bit out of her little headspace to walk into the office. It wasn't something Marie liked to do once Lauryn was in her little headspace, particularly when she hadn't been comfortable being little for so long. But, she knew Lauryn didn't want to be exposed in that way...again. And she didn't want to leave Marie's side, so this was the only option.

She had been very quiet, but that wasn't anything particularly novel about Lauryn. Mark, the doorman downstairs, had been delighted to see her and gave her a hug. Most people in the office were at lunch, save for Matthias and one intern who was petrified of Marie. Matthias had given her a lollipop and the intern had quickly hidden in his office when Marie walked down the hallway holding Lauryn's hand. 

Going to the side table against the wall, she opened a cabinet and pulled out a coloring book and crayons along with a walrus stuffed animal. She put the book and crayons on the coffee table. Then sat on one of the sofas and motioned to Lauryn to come sit on her lap. 

After Lauryn straddled her thighs, Marie put the walrus in her arms.  

"This was my walrus when I was a little girl. I keep him here for when I'm having a tough day and need a cuddle." 

Lauryn smiled. 

"I think he needs a cuddle, though, and I'm awfully busy. Do you think you could cuddle him while I'm gone?" she asked, tucking her hair behind her ear. 

She nodded. 

"W-w-what's h-h-his n-name?" she asked softly. 

She appeared to be slipping again, which relieved Marie. 

"Harold."

Lauryn giggled and then hugged the walrus to her chest and whispered, "N-n-nice t-t-to m-m-meet y-y-you, H-harold." 

If cuteness could kill, I'd be dead 1,000 times over right now. 

"I'm sure you two will get along swimmingly, no pun intended," Marie said, winking, "Right then, here are some coloring books of Pippa's. I'm sure she won't mind sharing. I'll be back in about an hour." 

"Um, m-m-mama?" 

"Yes, darling?" 

"Y-y-your h-h-hair..." she said quietly. 

"What about..." Marie started, then touched her head. 

"Oh, goodness, you're completely correct. Thank you for saying something, baby. Mama shouldn't have her hair down at all." 

Quickly, she gathered her hair back into its usual bun, albeit a bit less perfect than usual, before checking it in the mirror she kept in her handbag.

"Better?" she asked.

Lauryn nodded before kissing her lips lightly and sliding off her lap.

Standing, Marie turned to her desk and gathered the materials she would need for the meeting with the investors. As she did so, she felt Lauryn's arms go around her waist from behind.

"D-do y-y-you h-h-have t-t-to g-g-go s-so l-long, m-mama?" she whispered. 

Oh, sweetheart. 

Turning around, she bent and smoothed her hair back from her forehead. 

"I'll be done before you know it, baby doll. I promise. Then we will go home and it will be just you and mama in our flat." 

"P-promise?" she asked, visibly hugging the walrus closer to her chest.