Chapter 14

The early morning sun spilled through the large windows facing Hyde Park, making Marie smile as she stretched after her run. It was sunny and not a terribly hot day for early July. It was perfect weather for Lauryn's surprise party. 

Over the last few days, Mac had helped her finalize the plans for the party. It would be small and relaxed as Lauryn couldn't handle a big event yet, but she wanted it to be as special as possible. Marie hadn't thought Lauryn would see her 25th birthday, so it was indeed special. The biggest surprise of all was that Granda, Patty and Bridget were coming. 

After making a pot of coffee, she walked into the bedroom. Lauryn was still asleep on her stomach, sheets discarded, thumb in her mouth. The blue, oversized button down shirt she wore to bed had ridden up and revealed her small bottom in a pullup. Felix had made his way to the floor. Bending, she picked him up and propped him up on the night table. 

What a cute girl I'm so blessed to have. 

Sitting beside her on the bed, Marie pushed the hair from her neck before bending and kissing her cheek. Lauryn groaned softly, still half asleep, but now stirring slowly. 

"Good morning, my beautiful birthday girl." 

Lauryn's eyes fluttered open before moaning again and rolling over. Grabbing Marie's arm that was closest to her, she pulled it to her chest and snuggled into it as she would Felix or Mambo. 

Smiling, Marie said, "What? Don't want to be 25?" 

Lauryn shook her head. 

"No? Guess you want tickles instead, huh?" 

She started to tickle her, making her whine and roll onto her stomach. 

"I mean, my baby is still really only two, huh?" 

Lauryn rolled back over and pouted. 

"N-n-n-not always."

"Yes, but you're always my baby regardless. Felix even agrees." 

"He d-d-d-does n-n-not!" 

Lauryn looked indignantly over at the stuffed tiger on the table, making Marie giggle.

"I swear, Lauryn, every day you get cuter and cuter."

Lauryn sleepily smiled and reached up to her. Bending, Marie kissed her again.

"Happy birthday, monkey."

Silently, Lauryn climbed into Marie's lap and snuggled into her. Marie wasn't sure if it was sleepiness or littleness that was claiming her at the moment. She had pumped before her run, assuming Lauryn wouldn't be little as she hadn't been since Mac had arrived.

"Are you feeling little today?" she asked, rubbing her back. 

Lauryn shook her head but snuggled more deeply into her. 

"Just wanted a cuddle, huh?"

She nodded. 

Marie adored that Lauryn craved physical affection. She assumed some of the reason behind that was linked to her early childhood, but its source didn't bother her in the least. She was happy to give her all the love and physical affection she was denied early on. The fact that when Lauryn was little she wanted it even more made being a mommy just that more affirming for her.

"I l-l-love y-y-you," Lauryn said softly, kissing her neck. 

"I love you more, sweetheart. I'm so happy that I get to spend your birthday with you." 

"I'm s-s-surprised that I g-g-got t-t-to h-h-have another b-b-birthday," she said quietly, rubbing her thumb against Marie's shirt. 

Oh, baby.