Chapter 9

"As evidenced by Ms. O'Hara's work on this UN building in Cairo, not to mention the superb attention to detail, craftsmanship, and creativity she has demonstrated on the sketches, blueprints, and planning, she is more than capable of passing final examinations to be awarded a master's degree in architecture at University College London." 

Marie looked around the room at the people before her. There was the board of the Bartlett School of Architecture -- seven men and two women. One of the women, the chairman, Emma Young, Marie knew personally, though not that well. She was in her late fifties, Marie guessed, based on her short, greying hair. Other than being a reserved woman as well as a talented and well-regarded architect of international organization's buildings and non-profit projects, Marie didn't know much about her. 

Seated in the back was Harold Moresby, Lauryn's favorite professor and ardent supporter of her, along with Martin Shearf, the dean of the school. She felt more confident with them there as both strongly wanted an exception made, even with the latter not knowing Lauryn personally. They both smiled as she presented Lauryn's extensive work. 

Then there was Ken Higgins, the provost, who for some reason was quite determined to ensure that the other Lady Avon's wishes were followed as per her donation restrictions. He had tried to block this meeting from taking place, and it was only when Shearf alerted the board that it was quickly scheduled. He sat glowering in the front of the audience, a dour look of shadowy anger on his face. 

"Lady Avon, it's clear Ms. O'Hara is exceptionally talented. There is simply no question of her merit and hard work. But, we don't really know much as to why she could not sit for her examinations. We received some details when this emergency meeting was arranged, but can you please describe what has happened?" one of the men in the back asked. 

They see her talent and her hard work. That's a start. 

"Ms. O'Hara was the victim of a violent assault that left her nearly dead, and has left her with severe brain damage and a lack of fine motor skills. She spent over a month in hospital, some of it in a coma, during which these examinations took place. A fellow student, Mr. Luke Oldfield, reported it to the school immediately. I assumed, incorrectly it seems, that UCL would understand that Ms. O'Hara was fighting for her life. Instead, she received a letter that, because she did not sit for her examinations, she lost her scholarship and was also terminated from the program. This seems entirely in conflict with UCL's mission statement of commitment 'to excellence, innovation and the promotion of global understanding.' This action does not appear to be one of promotion of understanding in the least."

Ken Higgins stood and said, "And yet, we have a prohibition on this sort of behavior clearly listed in the rules of this College." 

"What behavior, Mr. Higgins?" another board member asked. 

"Skipping examinations."

"Mr. Higgins," one of the women on the board said, "It would seem to me that the purpose of such a prohibition is to dissuade students who have not applied themselves to their studies and are looking for more time to prepare. Not for students who suffered massive and serious life-threatening injuries who were not even conscious during such examinations."

"There is nothing in the rules stating the purpose of such a prohibition, thus ambiguity exists and so it should be applied to all cases," Higgins said, turning redder as his anger grew. 

"What Mr. Higgins is also failing to tell you is that he received a sizeable donation with a restriction that any student, regardless of situation, be terminated from the program. And, that the donation be for his use," Shearf said, standing, annoyance written on his face.