Chapter 7

"Ssh, Lauryn, you're alright," Marie said, pulling Lauryn into her arms.

She had woken to Lauryn sobbing next to her, fighting the sheets, which were soaked in sweat. Reaching behind her, she turned on the lamp beside their bed.

"Wake up, baby, please," she said, rocking her.

Lauryn's eyes opened slowly, but to Marie's sadness, she looked even more scared.

"Baby, it's okay," Marie said softly, starting to pull her closer.

"N-n-no!" Lauryn screamed, pushing away from her, "Who are y-y-you?"

Oh, baby. Your sweet head is so confused. Nighttime is always the worst for your agitated confusion.

"Lauryn, it's me, Marie. You are very safe, sweetheart."

Marie reached for her, only causing Lauryn to back away, shaking her head. Reaching the end of the bed, she fell to the floor, still moving away from her on her bottom until her back met the corner of the room.

Standing, Marie walked to her and crouched low in front of her, attempting to take Lauryn's hand. Instead, Lauryn took her wrist and held her back.

"P-p-please, s-s-stay away. I d-d-don't know you."

Even in the dim light, Marie could see how dilated her pupils were, her expression, terrified. Her eyes held no recognition of her in them, only fear and utter disorientation.

"You are in our home, Lauryn. In London. With me, your girlfriend, Marie. You are very safe. Nothing and no one to hurt you here, I promise."

Lauryn's breathing started to slow a little and her eyes seemed to focus more. Slowly, she looked up at Marie, who saw the recognition in her eyes finally.

"M-m-mama?" Lauryn's startled voice finally said.

She hadn't been little in the week since they had visited the therapist for the first time, so the fact that she had asked for her mama was concerning to Marie. Actually, Lauryn had been quite distant in the past days, but Marie knew that she was likely just processing and wanted space.

"Right here, Lauryn," Marie said, sitting next to her and pulling her into her lap.

"S-s-scared, m-m-mama," she said, still breathing heavily.

"Everything is okay, monkey. You're safe. I'm right here."

Lauryn was still clearly unable to relax; not even able to hold onto Marie. Instead she just shook, breathing hard.

Fuck you, Hammersley.

Rage filled Marie. This was Hammersley's fault. Lauryn had occasional nightmares before the attack, but now they were constant. Usually they were not quite this severe, but even when mild, she hated that her sweet girl was even the least bit distressed. It was one of her hopes for therapy that it would help ease them. She was always so tired because she couldn't sleep well at night.

And, nighttime was when her confusion set in. It wasn't the first time that Lauryn didn't know who she was at first. The doctors had explained this wasn't uncommon with traumatic brain injuries, but Marie hated the fact that in those moments, Lauryn was scared of her and she could do nothing to comfort her sweet girl. She became agitated and incredibly disoriented, making her fearful of everything around her. The only thing Marie could do was to remind her of reality and that she was safe.

"Let's take some big breaths together, darling," Marie said.

Lauryn shook her head. Maybe not so much as Marie's suggestion, but at what was happening.