Chapter 1

"Hi, daddy," Marie said softly, closing the apartment's front door behind him as he stepped into the entrance hall, "Are these for Lauryn?"

He was carrying a huge bouquet of flowers and a dragon stuffed animal.

"Hi, darling. Yes, I thought she would want a little friend."

"That's very sweet of you, daddy. I'll add him the menagerie."

"Menagerie?"

"Well, Matthias brought her a duck, her grandfather brought her a new tiger, her brother brought her a giraffe, and her best friend brought her a cow."

It was as if they could all read Lauryn so well and knew what would make her feel better.

Her father chuckled and said, "She's got the whole zoo then. I'm sure the dragon will fit right in with the cow."

"I'm sure."

"How is she?"

"Tired and in pain, but thankfully I've got her to lay down and nap a few hours ago after a bath."

"Sounds like you're taking care of a toddler," he said with a smile.

If only you knew, daddy. 

 "But I'm sure she needs a lot of care. You're the perfect person for it. There's a big teddy bear under all that Chanel makeup."

More like a mama bear.

"I love taking care of her. I didn't ever think I'd get another chance to."

"I know."

"How was work? I forgot how dashing you look in your business attire."

He smiled.

"Like herding cats," he said with a wink, "I've missed it."

"Would you like me to give you the reins again?"

"Oh, no, love. I am quite content with my temporary assignment. I much prefer to walk Major in the mud in the Cotswolds these days."

"I do thank you. I wouldn't be able to manage."

"Of course. If you need to run errands or anything, I'm happy to sit here in case she wakes up."

"That is so nice of you, daddy. I do need to go to the grocery store at some point. But, she gets scared if she wakes up and I'm not around and I haven't told her that I'm going out before she falls asleep."

"Why's that?"

"She's afraid I'm going to leave...again."

"Oh, love."

"It's something we're working on – she has to rebuild trust with me."

"That's fair, Georgina. I hope you know that."

"I do."

"I'm happy to sit here and have a drink and chat until she wakes up. Then you can go do your errands."

"Would you?"

"Of course. I don't get to spend much time with you anyway, darling. Now you're forced to interact," he said with a wink.

Marie walked to the bar while he shed his suit jacket and put the flowers and dragon on the kitchen counter. Loosening his tie slightly, he walked to the bar where Marie was pouring him a gin and tonic.

"Bombay Sapphire, perfect," he said, watching her replace the blue bottle of gin.

"I got it especially for you, daddy. In the case you would ever stop by."