003

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖎𝖌 𝕽𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖆𝖑

'ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴɴᴏᴛ ʜᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴀʀᴍs, ᴛʜᴇɴ ʜᴏʟᴅ ᴍʏ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ ɪɴ ʜɪɢʜ ʀᴇɢᴀʀᴅ. ᴀɴᴅ ɪғ ɪ ᴄᴀɴɴᴏᴛ ʙᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪғᴇ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ ʟᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ ʟɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ'
-Ranata Suzuki

 ᴀɴᴅ ɪғ ɪ ᴄᴀɴɴᴏᴛ ʙᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪғᴇ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ ʟᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ ʟɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ'-Ranata Suzuki

"Marlowe Ordell!"

My heart sunk. Not once had I spared a thought that I could be the unlucky person to be chosen. 1 in 400 and I was going to be in he Hunger Games. All eyes went to my trembling figure and my eyes travelled to my younger brother. The only thing pleasant about this situation was that he wasn't picked. He didn't have to go through the traumatizing events of either having to kill or be killed. I'd rather suffer as many times as possible than seeing him suffer. "Don't be shy Marlowe. Please make your way to the stage."

A path cleared as everyone stepped aside and allowed me to slowly walkthrough. I was approached by the peacekeepers as they guided me to the big stage where I was greeted by the rather tall lady standing at the top of the stairs. Her hand was held out towards me and I hesitantly grabbing it, allowing her to help me up. She then placed her hand on my back and guided me towards the mic and I couldn't take my eyes off the look of pain on Mateo's face. Tears streamed down his face and I was afraid if I looked any longer than I would reveal how vulnerable I was.

I was aware of the cameras all around the stage most likely to re-watch the start of the series of events that led up to most likely the end of a child's life. "Can we get a round of applause for our lucky tribute, Marlowe Ordell!" Silence followed after as everyone bowed their heads down, a show of honor to our tribute. We came from a well-mannered tribute, always bowing our heads to say thank you and never forgetting to say please whenever we were to ask something. "Congratulations Marlowe." I shook her hand, and I was able to feel the velvet material of her clothed hand. "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor." Her voice got lower as ended her sentence with a hint of smugness in her tone.

I was lead through the double doors where I was put in a small room with only a window. "You should feel delighted that you were picked, dear. I don't see why the look of sadness. You were the chosen one, the one to prove that your district is worthy. After all, no one ever heard of you guys so best believe me a lot of tributes are going to want you gone. They'll think your vulnerable, so try not to show much of it." Her explanation wasn't ignored as I processed reality. I was going to be dead in only a short amount of time, and I wouldn't be with family along the way. "And before I forget. I am Gwendolyn Pearl, but please, call me Gwen." The clicking of her heels could be heard as she left the room and in ran Mateo, my parents not far behind him.

I embraced him in a hug and held him as tight as possible, knowing I would never feel this again. "You have three minutes." My mother sobbing was what broke the silence as she brought us into a hug.

"I'm so sorry." There was no need to apologize, it wasn't like they were responsible for my outcomes.

"Marly?" Mateo's voice was quiet as he said my name. "Please don't go." His arms latched around me tightening hard so I couldn't get out. "I can't lose you."

"As I said, everything will be fine." There wasn't a point in promising, I could never dare break a promise to my own family, the guilt would eat me alive.

"Find an axe, you know how to use them and If you can't find one then make one. I've shown you how to do it, it may not have the same effect as an already built one, but it will work just as good." That was the first time I had heard my father speak since he entered the room, and you could tell by the breaks in his voice that he was on the verge of crying. "You also know what's good to eat and what's not. Use that to your advantage. Set up traps, whatever you can to survive. Lure them in with poisonous berries. Just please, come home to us." His final words came out in a whisper and the room was invaded by peacekeepers. "We're so sorry that this happened to you."

"I love you all. Take care of him, please." The last statement was directed at my parents. My brother had been picked up and carried out of the room and then I was all alone.